Getting A 3rd Cat....need Advice And Name Suggestions...

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've finally made the leap and decided to get a third cat (I have literally been thinking about this for years). My co-worker has a litter and I'm going to pick on out. They are all very pale yellow short hairs.

Until I meet them I won't know if I will choose a boy or girl, but I am wanting to have some name ideas going in.

My resident cats are Zoey (4.5 years old) and Luna (will be 4 at the end of the month).

The only names I have really thrown out there are Nala or Winnie for a girl .

Thoughts and suggestions?

Also those of you who have added a kitten to a two cat household, advice?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats on deciding to add a third cat to your family. :thumbsup: I usually wait until I have a better feeling for the cat's personality before naming him or her. However, my suggestion would be Jax for a boy. I also like your idea of the name Winnie for a girl.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first cat was named Sebastian after Johann Sebastian Bach because I was a music major in college when we got him, and my hubby's cat we got at the same time was Cicero because hubby was a Classics major. Several of our other cats were named after authors of or characters in books we were reading at the time we got them, and some were named because of the way they looked. Does any of that help?

On a related note - I love the name Zoe and if any of our 3 boys had been a girl she would've been named Isobel, nicknamed Zoe.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a rule about no names for a week. I might have ideas floating around but I like to try them out and see personalities. That is why Rocket is Rocket, never Rocky, and kept the name even when she turned out to be a girl.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boys were only 12 weeks old when I brought Zelda home. She was 10 weeks old. I've never had to introduce a kitten to older cats, but having 3 is absolutely amazing and I feel bad for the me in the parallel universe that decided not to get a 3rd. I think Winnie would work for a female OR a male because if you think about it Winnie the Pooh is a male so no problem there! If anything, wait till you meet them and choose them, you'll know when you see them which one you've been pondering over that your heart tells you is right. I usually list names off with my partner until one of us says a name and the others eyes widen and we look at each other like THAT'S IT. THAT'S THE NAME. And then when we pick up the kitten we can tell right away whether they match the name we've chosen or not.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have to agree with Kieka.....wait til you've had the kitten for a while. We've never had a cat that didn't tell us his or her name. And sometimes it took several days til we figured it out. You can get some names lined up, but until you've seen your kitten's personality and had a chance to get to know her or him, it's hard to say.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just about to mention about how you will not know there personality til they're older. I would NOT have named my cat Peaches if I had gotten her later than 5 weeks old! I brought my cat CoCo in at 3 yrs old and she knew her name soon after

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: In my experience, cats name themselves; it just takes us a while to understand when they tell us.

When we got Jasmine her name was Taz, which didn't seem to mean anything, so we were looking for a new name that sounded vaguely like "Taz" (to avoid confusing her) and that went with her personality, and nothing seemed to work. Until one night when Roger heard me talking to her in my sleep, and I called her Jasmine. My subconscious mind knew before my conscious mind did, but as soon as Roger told me about it I knew that was her name.

Margret

marvel7703

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw! Congratulations! I really like the name Winnie for a girl. But for a boy, I like the name Jasper for some reason. Keep us updated on what you decide to name him or her. :)
As for adding a new cat to the two who already live with you, I would just give it time. I have six cats at home and each time we have added a new cat to the mix, the process is a little different. Sometimes, they all hit it off right away! Sometimes, it takes a few weeks for them to get used to each other. And sometimes, it doesn't work and they never settle in with the new kitten. There is no definite answer on what will happen, but just have patience! Good luck with everything, and like I said, keep us updated! :)