Get OFF!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any kind of spray to keep cats off machines and pressing those easy touch digital buttons?
My cats change the settings on me all the time.
I have a bitter spray , but it only works if it is licked, so not suitable for this.
I need a scented deterrent spray....one you have tried and found that it WORKS.
Any suggestions?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
only thing thats really ever worked for me is just walking over and picking the cat up.gently while telling them no in a calm gentle tone of voice) and placing them in an ok spot to be ontop of. rinse repeat long as it takes. your cat might also decide upon a compromise to :lol: graycie has with me

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't use any spray as it may not be healthy ingredients for cats, and the likelihood - as mentioned above - is that it won't work anyway.

When the method of removing the cat isn't an option, depending on what devises you are talking about, plastic mats with the nubby side up can be laid over the item. Most cats don't like the feel of the nubs and will avoid them. Foil may work better on some of the items you are talking about, so worth a try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I did find some creative sewn covers over on Etsy and amazon crafted by a handmade crafter. They are for seed germination machines. The light hoods are bright and resemble sunlight which makes the cats want to bask under the light..

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another alternative. Cats DO NOT like citrus. I've known many a Christmas tree that has survived a household full of cats when it was ringed with oranges or tangerines. And citrus oil is available. You might try dabbing it on the edges of things you want to keep them away from.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
game misconduct game misconduct 's solution is what I would usually use, but if its something important to you I wouldn't hesitate to take it to the next level. Which, for me, is whacking the surface to make a loud startling noise. Its more effective. As long as the cat is well bonded and not intrinsically nervous, it won't cause any problems. For example, I do this if the cat goes near the stove even if its off. You could use an air horn if whacking the surface would prove difficult. Or clap loudly and raise your voice works for me, but I'm noisy.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
game misconduct game misconduct 's solution is what I would usually use, but if its something important to you I wouldn't hesitate to take it to the next level. Which, for me, is whacking the surface to make a loud startling noise. Its more effective. As long as the cat is well bonded and not intrinsically nervous, it won't cause any problems. For example, I do this if the cat goes near the stove even if its off. You could use an air horn if whacking the surface would prove difficult. Or clap loudly and raise your voice works for me, but I'm noisy.
You remind me of my brother. His answer to all such cat behavior is "Rolled up newspaper...works every time".. :angrywoman::stars:😿

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats mess with things when they are bored. All those videos you see on YouTube of cats knocking things of shelves are because the cat is bored and is entertaining itself, watching things fall.

It seems to me that your cats' solution for boredom is to press buttons and mess with things. Watching the lights light up and hearing things go "Beep!" can be entertaining to a cat.

I suggest finding a toy that your cats like to play with better than pressing buttons. One of our cats likes to play the "Mouse Game" on my iPad. You could try that. Also, some electronic, interactive toys might work. Your cats seems to have an attraction to electronic things. Maybe that would satisfy their curiosity?

The other thing is to keep your cats more mentally engaged. Play with them more often. Give them plenty of attention. Open some windows for them to hang out and "supervise" the neighborhood from. Turn on some "Cat TV" videos or play some "Music for Cats."

Do what you can to keep your cats mentally engaged to prevent boredom and, then, find something to do that your cats like better than pressing buttons to hear them go "Beep!"

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats mess with things when they are bored. All those videos you see on YouTube of cats knocking things of shelves are because the cat is bored and is entertaining itself, watching things fall.

It seems to me that your cats' solution for boredom is to press buttons and mess with things. Watching the lights light up and hearing things go "Beep!" can be entertaining to a cat.

I suggest finding a toy that your cats like to play with better than pressing buttons. One of our cats likes to play the "Mouse Game" on my iPad. You could try that. Also, some electronic, interactive toys might work. Your cats seems to have an attraction to electronic things. Maybe that would satisfy their curiosity?

The other thing is to keep your cats more mentally engaged. Play with them more often. Give them plenty of attention. Open some windows for them to hang out and "supervise" the neighborhood from. Turn on some "Cat TV" videos or play some "Music for Cats."

Do what you can to keep your cats mentally engaged to prevent boredom and, then, find something to do that your cats like better than pressing buttons to hear them go "Beep!"
Last night they must have had a rollicking good time! The little kitten found his way inside the makeshift cover and I found a very expensive icon tottering on the edge of the cabinet! Little Bugger!
(she puked her first furball his morning, btw..and she stared at it like "what was THAT?".:kitty: I felt like a mom watching baby's first steps!)
My late cat Louise loved Cat TV and loved the mouse games, etc on my large Kindle and the TV Monitor.
However, these 2 go leaping, climbing and chasing behind on the hunt thinking they flew or ran off the screen behind the monitor somewhere in the room.
It is great for calming, though, when I turn on quiet cat lullabies.
I discovered David Teie's music also whom you may have discovered as well. It may not make sense to us, but cats understand the sounds ,etc. My cats' ears perk right up when I turn it on ,and funny thing is, the cat sounds on their are played by musical instruments.

press "Watch on You Tube" to bring it up

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing: Museum Wax!

It's a special, non-staining form of wax putty that museums and art galleries use to keep expensive items from falling off shelves. Homeowners in earthquake prone areas also use it to keep items from falling during tremors.

It's also useful when you have cats that like to knock things off shelves.

You can usually find Museum Wax at places like Home Depot or the usual suspects:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You've got young ones now! They need and have a lot of movement in a day. Can't be compared to our past older ones.

The cat music is usually more for helping them not react to every small sound.

(I usually recommend a 3 or 4 year old cat for those who don't want kitten antics for this reason 🤣😅. I don't find any 1 or 2 year old cats particularly calm...just less so than an actual kitten.)

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've got young ones now! They need and have a lot of movement in a day. Can't be compared to our past older ones.

The cat music is usually more for helping them not react to every small sound.

(I usually recommend a 3 or 4 year old cat for those who don't want kitten antics for this reason 🤣😅. I don't find any 1 or 2 year old cats particularly calm...just less so than an actual kitten.)
Oh they have their freedom and they do run and play,BUT I am not going to let them run wild inside and take over and destroy my house like I have seen some do !

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You remind me of my brother. His answer to all such cat behavior is "Rolled up newspaper...works every time".. :angrywoman::stars:😿
LOL, the difference being, with cats, you don't swat them with it, you swat NEAR them with it.

They'll settle. Just promise me you will never declaw to dissuade scratching furniture. Should that become an issue, we can give you LOTS of things to try that won't cause more serious issues than it solves. And make no mistake, they train us as much as we train them. When members would post about cats on counters, I'd give them several things to try, and end it by saying, "It used to really bother me that Hekitty jumped on the counters. We've been working very hard on this issue for months now, and I'm happy to report that it doesn't bother me at all anymore."

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, the difference being, with cats, you don't swat them with it, you swat NEAR them with it.

They'll settle. Just promise me you will never declaw to dissuade scratching furniture. Should that become an issue, we can give you LOTS of things to try that won't cause more serious issues than it solves. And make no mistake, they train us as much as we train them. When members would post about cats on counters, I'd give them several things to try, and end it by saying, "It used to really bother me that Hekitty jumped on the counters. We've been working very hard on this issue for months now, and I'm happy to report that it doesn't bother me at all anymore."
i would NEVER declaw a cat... LOL.. I won;t even tap them with rolled up newspaper ! My last cat started the scratching of a recliner arm. It looks so bad I said.."Go for it Cats!", and have a cover for when anyone rings the bell. :lol:
BUT.. they prefer their scratch pads in another room.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I kinda suspected that you wouldn't! However, I am compelled to mention it whenever misbehaving cats show up in a post. SOMEONE reading it might stop and think. It's a bit of a bugabear for me. LOL, I think I have almost single-handedly raised the value of stock in Surefit Furniture Covers, or, at least, my cats have, over they years!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mental stimulation helps so much! If my problem child doesn’t get at least an hour a day outside he is so naughty! He gets into things he shouldn’t & is destructive. If he gets his outside time he is a perfect angel.

I would also try a few of those motion activated things that blow s harmless puff of air if your cat gets near the counter.

Though in honesty I wound up just giving my cat one side of the counter. He keeps thinking the drink ledge/pass through is a shortcut. Do he gets part of the counter by the sink. His water fountain is there. My other counter if my galley kitchen he knows he is not allowed on (plus I block off the top of the fridge so there is no reason for him to even try to go there.)

This is how Jackie spends most of his outside time; hunkered down while watching the bird feeders.

IMG_7187.jpeg

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think part of the problem is that these 2 were rescued off the street and so they could have the run of the entire world whenever they pleased!
They have so many toys..wands,electronics,birds and ducks that flap, honk and tweet, balls,bells,boxes,bags ..you name it.
(Out of all the expensive toys their favorite is a huge lawn leaf paper bag I have in the hall..go figure). And I am on the hunt for a tower.
They are just spoiled rotten and want to be back outside.