Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Couch

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been smelling pee in my house for days and could not figure out where it was coming from. I finally found it- on the couch, but it is completely dry. And there is pee smell on all four cushions right in the center where they all meet, the two back ones and the two cushions you sit on , plus it smells underneath and behind on the actual couch part where the cushions lay on.

These are foam cushions with some kind of fluffy padding on top about maybe 8 or 9 inches thick and the smell is soaked all the way through. I can possibly take the covers off and wash them (not sure though), but how do I get the smell out of these huge cushions? The smell has been sitting in there for over a week. I have an enzymatic foam carpet cleaner and a spray bottle but that's not going to soak through these thick cushions. What can I do? This is a brand new couch. :bawling2:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my, I wish I had words of wisdom but I just don't know. I would probably see if you can take the covers off and wash those. For the foam though ... maybe soaking them with the cleaner and letting them air dry outside?

Hopefully someone else has some ideas.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the pee is soaked through you may need new cushions inside the couch covers.

Once you clean the couch and possibly replace the foam cushions, you may need to cover the couch in plastic until you determine which cat did this and whether the problem is resolved since it could be behavioral or medical.

Prefessional cleaning will only help the exterior fabric. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to have to replace the foam. It's going to cost me over $160 to replace it, then I have to wash the covers, wash the couch, and wrap the new foam in dry cleaners bags in case it were to ever happen again.

I tried to switch from a clay litter to a pine pellet litter and they didn't like it, so one of them peed and pooped on the couch and floor. I only put in a small amount, but she didn't like it. That was stupid to try to change the litter. I won't do that again.

I washed the couch with Resolve Pet cleaner and a mix of baking soda and vinegar. I let it sit there and then vacuum it up once it dries.

I will wash the covers inside out with detergent, vinegar, and some scent stuff that you add to make clothes smell good and maybe that will work.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope it works for you. Cat pee smell is very difficult to get rid of.

So is the litter back to normal now with no further incidents?

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it works for you. Cat pee smell is very difficult to get rid of.

So is the litter back to normal now with no further incidents?
Yes, I dumped out the whole box and put all of the old litter back in. There's not a pellet to be seen anywhere. Except that that I dumped the mix of litter and all the pellets into a cheap garbage bag, and as I was bringing it outside it ripped :sniffle: Litter everywhere in my carpet pouring out of the bag. I had to sweep and vacuum it all up. Maybe I'll pour some baking soda into my carpet too... I'm afraid of going nose-blind to all the litter box smell in my house.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ack! Punished enough for changing the litter, only to have it all over the carpet now. :doh:

Sometimes we just can't win. :dunno:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gotta love those cats. I hate that you went through it, and wish we could have given you better ideas for dealing.

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I am wondering, if you are going to have to cover the NEW foam in dry cleaner bags, why not try wrapping the old foam in garbage bags, take care of the covers and put them back on over the old cushions and see if you can smell the urine from the foam? Maybe you won't have to get new cushions. Just a thought.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I am wondering, if you are going to have to cover the NEW foam in dry cleaner bags, why not try wrapping the old foam in garbage bags, take care of the covers and put them back on over the old cushions and see if you can smell the urine from the foam? Maybe you won't have to get new cushions. Just a thought.
I could try. I dont know if that would hold the smell in but i guess its worth trying.

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a terrible problem with feline urine odor. It was emanating fromon a concrete floor (caused by the cats of the previous owner of my house). My research showed that concrete is one of the most difficult places to get rid of such odors. This product actually worked:

The odor disappeared for almost a year. Recently, it's coming back -- again, because concrete is so very hard when it comes to permanently eliminating these odors. I'm going to use the same product again.
The seller was very helpful in answering questions I had about it. If you want to try it, and if the website doesn't list all of the fabrics, etc., that it's good for, you might try e-mailing her from the Amazon website.
I hope this helps.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy a large tote storage bin (Wal Mart, Target, etc). One that the cushion will fit into with some room to spare.
Put cushion in the tote, along with a small bowl of baking soda, and a sliced up apple.
Put a lid on it.
Change out the old baking soda and apple slices with fresh every couple of days for about two weeks.
Let it air out outside for a couple days and the smell should be gone.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy a large tote storage bin (Wal Mart, Target, etc). One that the cushion will fit into with some room to spare.
Put cushion in the tote, along with a small bowl of baking soda, and a sliced up apple.
Put a lid on it.
Change out the old baking soda and apple slices with fresh every couple of days for about two weeks.
Let it air out outside for a couple days and the smell should be gone.
I don't think I could possibly get a bin that big. I don't even think they come in this size.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I was thinking like a somewhat normallish size couch cushion.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I was thinking like a somewhat normallish size couch cushion.
yea this is like a huge couch with a chaise lounge (though it didn't get on the chaise) but thanks for the suggestion

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What does the sliced apple do ?

I use baking soda - carpets, cushions etc.
Very curious about the apple...:headscratch:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I cleaned it the best that I could with a pet vacuum washer and laid it outside in the sun. I washed the covers with some kind of odor eliminator (forget what it was called), detergent, and those colorful things that you put in the wash to make clothes smell good. Washed them twice inside out and right side out. I cleaned the couch with baking soda and vinegar.

The odor has pretty much gotten out of everything but the foam. It is very faint in the foam, but I can still smell it. No one else can smell it but me and I know I have a very strong sense of smell. I just got dry cleaner bags today. I need to get spray adhesive to stick the batting-like cotton stuff back onto the foam and then put the bags around them. I will put them back into the covers and back on the couch and see how bad the odor is. I will also flip the cushions around so the smelly side is facing down. I'm hoping maybe once they are in the bag, I wont smell it.

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We will keep fingers crossed for you. You are sure working hard enough for it to work. I have a son-in-law who is super sensitive and I had to replace a foam mattress. Now all my guest beds are covered in plastic when not being used and mattresses are in the good protectors that are water proof but do not crinkle. Can't stop the cats from getting up there, but I can stop whatever happens from getting into the mattresses.