Get Cat To Stop Scratching Corner Of Bed?

xthoroughbred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need help with suggestions for how to get a cat to stop sharpening his claws on the corner of the bed. He's torn a hole in our bed skirt and box spring.

A few things I've already tried:
  1. Putting a scratcher directly in front of the corner he scratches -- but he doesn't use any kind of scratcher we've purchased, and isn't interested in catnip to attract him to them
  2. Double-sided tape -- doesn't phase him
  3. Spraying the corner with a citrus scent -- doesn't phase him

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In addition to what Furballsmom Furballsmom has offered, perhaps he needs to be kept out of the location where this scratching occurs. Offer him another place in the home with the various scratching toys in the article above, and if possible don't let him back in the room where he is scratching the bed until he has picked another favorite thing to scratch.

I don't normally advocate keeping a cat out of a room, especially if he sleeps there with you, but other than to crate him in your room overnight and then shut him out of that room with a door during the day - along with trying other scratching surfaces - he might just have to be removed from the room where is the scratching is occurring to see if that will help break the habit.