Gastrointestinal blockage? Help!

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 16 week old kitten learned last night how to get on the tv stand, and during the night started playing with my dry grasses that I keep in two vases as a decoration. I have now thrown away the grasses (pampas and dry bunny tail), however I’m worried there may be a gastrointestinal blockage.

This morning he was fine, ate and played as well. Then around 10AM he started sleeping and he has been sleeping ever since. I tried to give him food but he refused. I also tried to play with him, but he was just watching me, and did not get up. He then went to the litter box, peed, pooped (he had soft stools) and then vomited as well (whole undigested kibble, and the vomit was brown. I would’ve thought it was diarrhea as well had I not seen it, but I was literally there when he was vomiting).

I should note that just yesterday he received his third vaccination and the rabies vaccine. Is it possible this could be a reaction to this?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you very much in advance!

I will also include here a picture of my grass (the one he possibly ingested, even though i doubt he could have eaten entire pieces).

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You need to get him to the Vet ASAP
Thank you, I just called the vet (emergency one, my regular one is closed being Saturday). I’m starting to get ready and will bring him in. Do you have any suggestions for when I get there? I feel that many times emergency vets are kind of superficial. Last time I brought him to the vet for acute diarrhea they told me he probably had Coccidia, when in reality he had a Clostridium infection.

I want to make sure they do the correct exams/visits.

Thank you!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Tell them what you wrote here and stand your ground about your concerns. My cat vet will only give two vaccines at at time, but it sounds as if your baby only had that many. I am not thinking that it is a vaccine reaction, but I could be wrong. Did you see what you believed were eaten pieces of the plant? It looks as if it might disintegrate if he played with it so it would be hard to tell for sure. It looks feathery and hard to swallow, but there are stems that could be chewed it seems.

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tell them what you wrote here and stand your ground about your concerns. My cat vet will only give two vaccines at at time, but it sounds as if your baby only had that many. I am not thinking that it is a vaccine reaction, but I could be wrong. Did you see what you believed were eaten pieces of the plant? It looks as if it might disintegrate if he played with it so it would be hard to tell for sure. It looks feathery and hard to swallow, but there are stems that could be chewed it seems.
I just wanted to update my post and say that I brought him to the vet, they visited him throughly and found nothing abnormal. They then did several X Rays and everything looked normal as well. They just found he had quite a bit of gas in his intestines, and according to the vet that is possibly irritating him.

They gave him an injection of Cerenia for any possible vomit/nausea. I’m hoping he’ll be okay and will start eating again tonight!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad he is ok. You did the right thing to get him there right away. Keep a close eye on him and get him back in if he shows any sign of getting worse.

Since he is a kitten and he has a propensity to eat/ chew things I would kitten proof your home for anything else he can possibly get into and munch on etc. I was lucky that none of my cats ever tried to ingest anything bad for them even as kittens. Except for Quinn, he is a chewer, and he somehow got into the garage when I was painting it and munched on a small pack of desiccant that had dropped on the floor. We went straight to the er where they did xrays etc. They were concerned the desiccant was darker and contained iron. Dvm thought X ray showed he had eaten only a few while radiologist said none. They light up on xray with iron content. But they said it was not enough to cause toxicity and it will pass through with no issues. He was fine.

Rubber bands are another thing I have to watch out for with him. So I throw then all away. He is very specific about what he will chew.

He is gorgeous by the way, ❤

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am glad he is ok. You did the right thing to get him there right away. Keep a close eye on him and get him back in if he shows any sign of getting worse.

Since he is a kitten and he has a propensity to eat/ chew things I would kitten proof your home for anything else he can possibly get into and munch on etc. I was lucky that none of my cats ever tried to ingest anything bad for them even as kittens. Except for Quinn, he is a chewer, and he somehow got into the garage when I was painting it and munched on a small pack of desiccant that had dropped on the floor. We went straight to the er where they did xrays etc. They were concerned the desiccant was darker and contained iron. Dvm thought X ray showed he had eaten only a few while radiologist said none. They light up on xray with iron content. But they said it was not enough to cause toxicity and it will pass through with no issues. He was fine.

Rubber bands are another thing I have to watch out for with him. So I throw then all away. He is very specific about what he will chew.

He is gorgeous by the way, ❤
Thank you so much for the compliment! ❤😻

And yes, unfortunately he tends to get into stuff he shouldn’t. I have to hide the toilet paper for example, or he will eat it. I just threw away my grasses today as I mentioned, that was literally the last thing I was hoping he would leave alone.

Since we got home he ate though and he has been playing, so hopefully he won’t have any other issue!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips – TheCatSite Articles

Glad that he is okay....and he is a little cutie! You really have to go through your house with a fine tooth comb, so to speak, when you have a curious kitten. Q tips are still something that even my older cats will try to get into if they see the chance...along with shoe laces.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to paint your wires with Tabasco sauce, use q-tips, the red sauce lets you keep track of where you are. Be careful don't get it on your face or in your eyes. Most, not all, but most cats don't like it. You can also use no-chew products or citrus products though the latter tend to be sticky.