gas stove question

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hi!

I have a question for anyone who has or has expereince with a gas stove. I grew up with the electric stove so this is all new to me...

but here goes...

I have an OLD stove in my apartment and it is one of the gas stoves that has the pilot lights lit all the time. I have on for the oven and two for the range (one one each side) the flames are blue.

Here is the issue...whenever i turn on the oven and it comes up to temp. the pilot lights on the range go out. So i am constantly relighting them. Once I shut off the oven they will stay on. I try to not use the oven and I always check the pilot lights before I leave for work. They will stay on as long as the oven is off.

But I don't think that this is normal and there is somethign wrong with my stove. Am I right or is that normal for gas stoves?

I am having my husband call the super about it tomorrow since I am concerned. (the super likes and gets long with my DH so I let him deal with him since the super tends to SCREAM at me when I call.)

A Friend says it sounds like the stove is starting to break...but I wonder can it be fixed or am I looking at a new stove?

Anyone have any idea?

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We've always have had a gas stove and even our old run down one didn't do that. The pilot light would randomly go out but not when we used the oven. We eventually replaced it with a newer gas stove that has an electric start, no pilot lights to worry over. The reason we replaced ours was because the oven wouldn't come up to tem anymore and always checking/lighting pilots got on my nerves. lol

It's good to have it looked at. Maybe the inside lines just need replaced.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had gas in most of our rentals(one was about 20 years old when we moved out) and it never did that. Same thing it would go on occasion or if it was windy. If its quite old and the apartment is kepts somewhat current Id imangine they would go ahead and install a new stove.
Just a reminder if you ever smell gas/feel real weak or cats show signs call gas place they will have a tech dispatched asap to get a reading. Good luck

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's definitely a problem with the stove. A pilot going out occasionally is normal (to a point), but not every time you use the oven. Good thing you're getting it checked.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely good that you're getting it looked at. I don't trust those old pilot light stoves - and there's a reason they don't make them anymore. I would push for a new one.

About 4 years ago, I was having trouble with my 30 year old gas stove.....it was with the oven. My super sent a repairman, who fixed it, and in the meantime, I asked the building if I could have a new stove - heard nothing. A year later, my apartment was destroyed by fire. I came home from work to find the kitchen totally destroyed and most of the rest destroyed by water and smoke damage.

The super said the fire marshall had determined it was an old can of Easy-Off oven cleaner that I had in the cabinet under the sink. It was so old, it had corroded and fumes were escaping and the fumes were lit by the pilot light and there was an instant fire.

The building was very quick to install me in another apartment as they renovated mine - they were very, very accomodating, and I started thinking it might have been this old stove that was really at fault - and they were trying to do everything to make life easy for me so that I didn't look further into it (I was sort of in shock) - but to this day, I mostly blame the old stove with the pilot light....a stove that I had asked to be replaced.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up in a home with an electric stove. I have lived in many places that have had gas stoves though. I have never seen the pilot light go out every time the oven is used on any stove I have ever had. One of my friends also lived in an apartment with a very old gas stove and I do not remeber her having this issue either.

I hope you are able to get this checked quickly. It sounds like there is definitely some thing wrong with your stove.