• Adult

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hi
Probably shouldn’t have watched Garfield this weekend.
Now I want Garfield!
I have an American longhair, she is 8 years old. She has been through it all! I want to integrate a cat into my only cat home.
How?
I’ve heard put them in a separate room, separate litter, separate food and water. Then gradually introduce one another.
Can’t they just meet? And share everything?
I have a lot of work to do. I don’t want a cat who sprays in the house.
Last integration attempt was with an adult female who hated Sassy SO much. They bicker and fight, the female sprayed; when she was MAD.
Should I get a male, female, kitten, young adult? I have shelters calling me with options.
I want to get this right the first time. Sassy has been through TOO much.
I don’t want to mess this up for Sassy. My hours will be changing where I’ll be away from home more. I want her to have some one, Sassy is sensitive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hi
Probably shouldn’t have watched Garfield this weekend.
Now I want Garfield!
I have an American longhair, she is 8 years old. She has been through it all! I want to integrate a cat into my only cat home.
How?
I’ve heard put them in a separate room, separate litter, separate food and water. Then gradually introduce one another.
Can’t they just meet? And share everything?
I have a lot of work to do. I don’t want a cat who sprays in the house.
Last integration attempt was with an adult female who hated Sassy SO much. They bicker and fight, the female sprayed; when she was MAD.
Should I get a male, female, kitten, young adult? I have shelters calling me with options.
I want to get this right the first time. Sassy has been through TOO much.
I don’t want to mess this up for Sassy. My hours will be changing where I’ll be away from home more. I want her to have some one, Sassy is sensitive.
Or, give Sassy an only cat home she deserves

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely not another female. I would say a fixed adult male or male kitten. Probably a kitten. I have personally thrown cats together at first introduction and it was a chaotic few days. But hissing, growling, meowing doesn't bother me and I allowed the cats to do that, while having escapes for them and they yelled at each other for a bit and then were fine. It is about your own stress level also as they will feed off that. I would NOT recommend doing it this way.

Keep them in separate places but let them be aware of each other. Swap their bedding, feed them on either side of the door. When they do finally meet, stay calm, expect them to be vocal, even scary vocal, this is how they communicate. The younger one will bother the older one and she will probably yell at him, the older one may get so annoyed she pounces and "punishes" the younger one and he screams in protest. This all has to happen so they learn how to live together. Lastly, whatever you do, never ever bring them face to face or hover one above the other. Let them work out hierarchy on their own. This isn't something you can influence.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yelling = any form of vocalization a cat deems necessary to communicate to the other cat that is is displeased with what is going on. Not a bad thing.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got here too late! rubysmama rubysmama already gave you the articles I was thinking of. Do be aware that some cats do better as "only children." Not every cat feels the need for feline companionship. You know your cat better than anyone else in this world.

You do mention that your schedule will also be changing. That, combined with a new cat in the house is a lot of change for a hypersensitive girl. Take that into account, as well.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got him, “Victor “ has taken over Sassy’s every thing even though he has his own.
He brought fleas. I bathed him. There was an adult on him today. I cleaned the eggs off his chin.
I might have to dip them both. Then flea treat.
Victor came with an upper respiratory infection. He has a vet appointment Wednesday this week.
Sassy howls at him. I locked him up the first day. It was horrible for him. He cried all the Time. So I put Sassy in a bathroom with her necessities and let him out.
That led to Victor sleeping in the bed with me.
I thought it was spiders, now I know it’s FLEAS. Pest Control will be here next week.
Sassy isn’t pleased. She will strike at Victor. I feed her at her sleeping place. She avoids Victor howls and growls.
When Victor sneezes green snot and blood comes out. The Vet wants a stool sample when I bring him in.
How do I get them bathed, and get the placed bombed?
Sassy will warm up, maybe never. I’m not concerned, Victor doesn’t need a babysitter from Sassy. He is content gazing at her.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How do I train him not to jump on table counter etc?
He’ll jump and climb up my clothes ={

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Congrats on getting Victor. He's a cutie pie. :catlove:

I would keep him and Sassy separated at least until Victor's vet checkup. You want to be sure he doesn't have any illness Sassy could catch.

As for the water bottle, it's not considered a good form of discipline, per 5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat

Here's a couple more articles that might be helpful:
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
Cats And Discipline Don't Mix
https://thecatsite.com/ams/get-off-how-to-discourage-your-cat-from-jumping-on-counters.22407/

And How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah. I should read these links ASAP.
It’s too late on the illnesses and fleas.
Bummer
He’s insistent on running the whole house. Crying for hours. I couldn’t take it anymore. I let him out.
His kitten chow arrived. He’s settling in.
I renamed him again “Freddy”

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Articles read.
Sassy isn’t responding positively to Freddy’s good nature.
Sassy put in quiet place Freddy cannot get into. Funny fact, it has Freddy’s smell all over.
Sassy can open the door if she wants too.
I don’t blame her. Freddy has blown buggies on my face, jumps my shoulders, messe up my hair, sleeps with his tail in my face, leaves me smelly surprises in the box, cries until he is on my lap, wakes me up at night.
He goes to the vet tomorrow.
I’ll update you.

Attachments

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the vet visit. :crossfingers: Cute little orange scarf, btw. :biggrin:
So he has ear mites, and a virus that gives him ulcers in his sinuses.
He’s on antibiotics, and ear mite treatment.
His bloody green boogers should improve. Antibiotics twice daily.

5 ear drops in each ear for 7 days, stop 7 days, start for 7 days, stop.
The fleas! The vet suggested a spray for kittens.
$170+$65=$235 (not including my labor, cleaning supplies).
He has stopped incessantly crying!
On the way Sassy and Freddy shared a carrier with out a sound.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully their shared carrier ride home from the vet was a bonding opportunity for them. And glad you got meds for little Freddy.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As for your counters, if the problem should recurr, try placing lightly crinkled foil on the counters. Almost all cats find it unpleasant to walk on, and will quickly abandon the idea. HOWEVER...a very few cats find it fascinating, so be forewarned!

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hopefully their shared carrier ride home from the vet was a bonding opportunity for them. And glad you got meds for little Freddy.
As for your counters, if the problem should recurr, try placing lightly crinkled foil on the counters. Almost all cats find it unpleasant to walk on, and will quickly abandon the idea. HOWEVER...a very few cats find it fascinating, so be forewarned!
thanks. For the idea. Mostly Freddy isn’t interested in the counter anymore.
Here is a cute video of Sassy
And Freddy. Sassy hisses. Then she hides. The video is too large.
Fred has the runs. The antibiotics are helping a lot! He is getting his ears cleaned twice a day, with mite drops.
Is there a dog website like this also?

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I’m done with my drama. Do I stop replying to this thread?