Gardening 2020

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we are supposed to be cool today and then warm up a bit again. Hopefully those berries will hurry up and ripen!
It is sort of my fault. I cut my bushes down to the ground in late fall or early spring so I can clean around them. If I didn’t do that I would have a big summer crop of berries and only a light one in the fall. Raspberries in general are a PITA but good for bees and wildlife. Most years I get maybe two thirds of the berries ripened before frost kills them, but probably not this year.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 They're the sweet Carmen peppers. Because of the cooler weather now, Rick is taking them off the plants once they start to redden a bit. They'll finish up in the house. I have another plate of peppers that can be done this morning.
N NY cat man I'll say something to Rick about removing foliage around the tomatoes to help them along. We still have tons of little tomatoes as well as the bigger ones coming along. With the cooler weather, they're not ripening very quickly. Again, once they start, Rick grabs them. It only takes a day or so in the house. And we hate to let them go and (maybe) get hit by frost, although it's to be in the 40s at night all this week and next.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
All gardening done for this year other than watering. Veggies done. I planted some garden hardy mums and yesterday we had some monster winds and gusts and one mum was actually uprooted by it. Had to go find it and replant it.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most everything is done here as well. We still have tomatoes ripening, and the sedum are still blooming, but we have cut back the majority of the plants. Those 105 tulip bulbs have been planted, and some other plants moved to new locations, and I'm working on a new planting bed for next year. I'm considering relocating one of the phlox, or maybe divide them, but this is only their second season, so it may be too soon for that.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the new planting bed worked up, with soil amendments worked in, but there was a snag- literally- at first. A large root from a neighbor's black walnut tree was only a few inches below the surface. The tree in question is about 2 feet in diameter, and right on the property line. Here is the chunk I dug out:
IMG_0236.JPG
This section was a little over 6 feet in length, and there is more beneath the yard, but I'm saving that for another day.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the new planting bed worked up, with soil amendments worked in, but there was a snag- literally- at first. A large root from a neighbor's black walnut tree was only a few inches below the surface. The tree in question is about 2 feet in diameter, and right on the property line. Here is the chunk I dug out:View attachment 355148This section was a little over 6 feet in length, and there is more beneath the yard, but I'm saving that for another day.
Wow. I have had to do that with roots coming up in my yard from 60 year old pines but never that large of a section. Between the digging and the sawing, it’s a big job.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. I have had to do that with roots coming up in my yard from 60 year old pines but never that large of a section. Between the digging and the sawing, it’s a big job.
I have found traces of roots from that same tree in the flower bed by the deck- over 30 feet away. Who knows how many more are to be found lurking under the grass?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think one of the tree guys we had here this year said the roots are generally at least as spread out as the canopy of the tree. Our septic guy said they will go as far as they can to reach water. They had to break some roots the first time we had the septic cleaned out. I found roots from a pine tree even in my raised bed gardens too!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed that 2021 seed catalogs are starting to come out. Might be good to buy seeds now for next year before they're sold out again. I'm browsing through this one even though I don't have outdoor space and my indoor gardening is limited to small houseplants: https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.botanicalinterests.com/downloads/Botanical-Interests-Catalog_2021.pdf
When Michele's shipment of bulbs arrived, a 2021 catalog was included in the package. We looked through it, saw some that we liked, and she went on line to order them, as there was a discount for early ordering. They were all sold out already for the entire season, not just for the early specials.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just need cat grass seeds. I've been using the Botanical Interest one for awhile now and the seeds grow really well. Burpee's seeds are ok but there tends to be a lot of loose dust stuff in the packet as well. I like to browse garden catalogs anyways just to see what new varieties of fruits and vegetables and herbs are out there.