Garden Floor visitors causing my cat Stress!

TinyJim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I live in a garden floor apartment with my cat Tiny Jim. I like to leave my window open at night because I like to let fresh air in and Tiny Jim likes to keep an eye outside. However, 3-4 times a month a stray or outdoor cat will wander to the window between 3-5 AM, and really stress Tiny Jim out, making him puffy and loud, creating quite the commotion in the middle of the night. I would like to be able to leave the window open but not if it means that Tiny Jim is going to be antagonized. Does anybody have any solutions to this? I'm wondering if I might be able to spray some type of repellent around the window well to keep visitors from stopping by but I'm not familiar with products like this!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Repellent around the window means your own cat will no longer be able to enjoy it.
What I'd suggest is a motion activated sprinkler of sorts, jackson galaxy sells air canisters that are motion activated as well, but I'd wager that it'll take more than air to ward off ferals.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyways make sure to research those plants they list in the link above as most are extremely toxic and I'm sure you're not interested in killing the stray but rather deterring it. And don't fall into the thinking trap that cats won't eat a poison plant. :)

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy synthetic Wolf/Coyote/Fox urine and sprinkle it around the area, that will keep everything away. You'll want to keep your window closed while it does it's work though (several days), if the smell gets into the house it will stress your Cat even more. If that window is near your door then you probably won't want to do this otherwise the smell will get in whenever you open the door.