Gain Weight

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi friends,

I have a senior cat. She is picky eater. She is skinny and I really want to help her to gain weight. I read some hints in this forum about feeding cats with baby food and canned food. She has never tried canned food (she does not like it). This time I bought baby food(rice, turkey, and vegetables) and turkey caned food. She tried both and seems she likes baby food so much and she likes canned food as well this time.
I want to be sure if these foods helps her to gain weight. By the way she can not digest foods easily and she eats so fast and does not chew very well and sometimes she does vomiting after her meal.

Thanks if you have any suggestion for her weight gain :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby foods, and treats are good for just that, treats, or to try to entice a cat to eat. Make sure the majority of her calories come from a good balanced wet food, and or dry. you can use the baby foods, or treats as a topper for wet food, or for dry food. But if you put a wet topper on dry food i would pull it up and throw it away after about 30 min. I read that wet dry food grows a lot of bacteria, fairly quick. wet by itself, or dry by itself is not bad to leave out.

I would feed her all the wet food she wants, 2 or more times per day. If she eats too fast then you may want to feed less at one time, but more often? And i would leave a good dry food out for her all the time. one thing i found with my guy that eats to fast is to feed dry food only one layer deep, on a flat paper plate. In a bowl they can grab big mouths full, not so much if only one flat layer, they must slow down.

I like a variety of wet foods' in my opinion all cats should get at least part of their daily calories from wet foods. With Dry i feed Dr. Elseys chicken. Its very high protein, and high calorie, so dont let the price scare you off, you get a lot of bang for your buck, and it last a long time. I get mine from chewy, and they also have smaller 2 lb bags you can try.

I try to always feed high protein, moderate fat, and low carb. I will link a few places below that i use to rate foods.

also a big bowl of fresh, cold, filtered water. Thats important no matter what she eats.

https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Baby foods, and treats are good for just that, treats, or to try to entice a cat to eat. Make sure the majority of her calories come from a good balanced wet food, and or dry. you can use the baby foods, or treats as a topper for wet food, or for dry food. But if you put a wet topper on dry food i would pull it up and throw it away after about 30 min. I read that wet dry food grows a lot of bacteria, fairly quick. wet by itself, or dry by itself is not bad to leave out.

I would feed her all the wet food she wants, 2 or more times per day. If she eats too fast then you may want to feed less at one time, but more often? And i would leave a good dry food out for her all the time. one thing i found with my guy that eats to fast is to feed dry food only one layer deep, on a flat paper plate. In a bowl they can grab big mouths full, not so much if only one flat layer, they must slow down.

I like a variety of wet foods' in my opinion all cats should get at least part of their daily calories from wet foods. With Dry i feed Dr. Elseys chicken. Its very high protein, and high calorie, so dont let the price scare you off, you get a lot of bang for your buck, and it last a long time. I get mine from chewy, and they also have smaller 2 lb bags you can try.

I try to always feed high protein, moderate fat, and low carb. I will link a few places below that i use to rate foods.

also a big bowl of fresh, cold, filtered water. Thats important no matter what she eats.

https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat
Thanks for sharing your experience. I would try them :)