Gagging cat

the widow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning. My 6 yo,adult female cat, is having a hard time. She started gagging about a week ago. Serious gags, I wait to see what she is expelling from within, and nothing. Along with that, she swallows hard, often and has lost her meow. She was very vocal, and can't meow more than a squeak. This comes within days of losing a new rescue kitten. I read of dysphagia. Any other suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I really think you should take your cat to the vet for a full checkup. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

the widow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to have to, just dropped $500 on a kitten the vet said was FINE and died 6 days later. Have u heard of this b4? Do u know if a bacterial infection or FIP, could cause this? Thank you for your response.

the widow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My daughter brought 2 rescue kittens, and they both had colds. The vet told her to wait til after holidays. She let him know cat wasn't thriving. She brought him in 2/08, he said kitten was FINE. I was furious, he was in OBVIOUS distress, brought him back Fri, had to demand fluids, he refused meds, took blood, said prob, Dry FIP and he was dying, WHAT!!!?? Had another batch of blood drawn for a definitive FIP test, and sent us home, with a can of food, after I demanded something, and then had to ask for a syringe. He said 2 days for test, waited til Tues zzzzzz mean while the poor kitten is in distress. Brought him in for fluids AND meds Tues, as they said it may not b FIP, and sadly he went through an agonizing evening and passed at 2:15 am. It was AWFUL. He said it might have been a bacterial infection, but we won't know for sure unless post mortem tests are done, for about another $500. Can't swing that. So now do I bring her to the jerk that knows what recently happened or start over completely?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If possible try a different vet. I'm sure someone would be willing to help you do some research on vets in your area.

the widow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, duh, video zzzzzz I always say that to everyone, and now that I need it, I forget to. BRILLIANT!! THANKS Pushpurrcatpaws

the widow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you to all of u and ur replies/ advice. Appreciate it, immensely!!

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had trouble swallowing a shot of antibiotic and anti inflammatory and he was better the next day it was some sort of throat infection.

the widow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That would be wonderful if it were just that, fingers crossed. Thank you.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may be sold an X-ray at the vet of the throat FYI. I decided to wait one day after the medications before doing it bc of the cost. It panned out. Apparently cats have pretty narrow throats.

angiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long since the other cat had fip ? Isn't it contagious ?

Last edited:

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long since the other cat had fip ? Isn't it contagious ?
They did not confirm FIP in the kitten. I think at the end, the vet changed his mind about the diagnosis

T the widow
I think I would also try a different vet. Other members here can provide information about good vets near you

the widow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten died on 2/15. There was little if any contact btwn the two, besides indirect via humans. And lil kitten was never really confirmed, not very trusting of the vet's "advice". The kittens brother, seems fine??