Gagging after eating

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!

My 8 month old kitten always gags about 10 minutes after he eats. I feed him 4 times a day in small portions only canned food (rawz, ziwi peak, hound and gatos) He does not throw up food only gags once or twice after 10 minutes of eating. He does cough up hair balls sometimes maybe once a month (he is a long hair persian) Is this normal? Thanks!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gags or burps? My cat often burps within the next 15 minutes of eating wet food. She swallows more air with wet food.

Could you record a video? You can show it to the vet too.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it possible he's eating way to fast? I had a cat who did that and he used to always hack/throw up his food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll try to get a video of him. No it's definitely gagging and he will only gag once but he does it every single time after eating. He uses a special bowl to help him eat slow so I dont think that's it.

I noticed around 11 am something I've never seen him do before. He was sitting on my table looking forward and all of a sudden his whole head started to wobble side to side as if he didnt have control of it. It was not a violent movement it was very subtle but visible. Since then he has not done it and is now sleeping. I feel like I'm always bothering my vet with silly things and dont want to be annoying. Is this something to worry about.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel like I'm always bothering my vet with silly things and dont want to be annoying. Is this something to worry about.
I have a elderly dog and I'm always calling my vet to ask about things.I used to feel the way you do, and then I just tried to train myself to stop caring. I'd rather call and it be an issue, then not call at all.

I would 100% call though. I'm not sure why his head would move that way. It could actually be something the vet needs to look at.

Since I'm not sure exactly how his head is moving though, i'm going to suggest this anyway -- have you looked in his ears to make sure the kitty doesn't have any irritation/ear mites? Not sure this would be related at all to any issues with eating and gagging though.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does he vomit? I'm wondering if he's intolerant to something in the food.