Gabepentin for Arthritis

AmyFluffyMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my cat has been prescribed gabepentin for arthritis. If your cat has been on this medication was there anything that helped with digestive side effects. I can see she feels better on it,but sometimes she vomits. I plan on talking to my vet, just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. Thanks

NRG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My older cat is on Meloxicam she's like a young cat after taking .4 a dose every 2 to 3 weeks, this medication is in Australia not sure it can be found overseas, always make her eat before and have plenty of water. One side effect is she's always hungry.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NRG - AmyFluffyMom is located in the USA. Oral meloxicam is not licensed nor available for cats in the US.

In any case, her thread is asking for experiences with Gabapentin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmyFluffyMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My older cat is on Meloxicam she's like a young cat after taking .4 a dose every 2 to 3 weeks, this medication is in Australia not sure it can be found overseas, always make her eat before and have plenty of water. One side effect is she's always hungry.

AmyFluffyMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, that was good to know if it becomes available in the USA,

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom's dogs are/were (one has passed on) on gabapentin for arthritis, due to them having health issues that contraindicated NSAID use. It does have a sedating effect, so be prepared for that.

The AAFP thinks off-label use of meloxicam is justified in some situations, and it's not illegal for vets to prescribe it with full consent of the owner. So if the gabapentin doesn't have the desired effects you could discuss it with the vet.
Long Term Use of NSAIDS in Cats | American Association of Feline Practitioners

AmyFluffyMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom's dogs are/were (one has passed on) on gabapentin for arthritis, due to them having health issues that contraindicated NSAID use. It does have a sedating effect, so be prepared for that.

The AAFP thinks off-label use of meloxicam is justified in some situations, and it's not illegal for vets to prescribe it with full consent of the owner. So if the gabapentin doesn't have the desired effects you could discuss it with the vet.
Long Term Use of NSAIDS in Cats | American Association of Feline Practitioners
Yes, she seems to be over the side effect of the sedation. The vet was ok with me giving it to her on an as needed basis. Some days she seems in more discomfort than others. I tried Cosenquin, but she vomited with that. It’s so hard with kitties cause they hid pain so well.

AmyFluffyMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, Fluffy did keep her Gab down today😃 ! She had a small meal before the dose, let her relax for an hour .Gave her the pill. She napped for 2 hours and was given a serving of wet food. I hope this schedule will continue to work. 🙏.