Gabby and the Central Air

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So as some of you know we have had Gabby for almost a year now. During the winter when the heat would come on she was never bothered with the air vents.

Since summer has started whenever we turn on the air (it isn't on all day because she likes the door open) she has always stood over the air vents. You can't see it in the picture, but the little hair in her ears are blowing from the air and she loves it. Lol

She can be doing something like playing or watching birds out the window and she she hears the air kick on she trots over to the air vent it is kind of cute, but just want to get your guys input.

I know she isn't doing it because she is over heated because I used to set the air all the way down on 68 when we first seen her doing it thinking she was hot and she did it then as well. That was just too cold in the house.. so now it is set on 72-74. The door has been shut for a while and the air is set on 72 (which is pretty cool considering she loves being at the open door all day) and every single time it comes on she will stand over it like this for about 30 seconds to a minute just looking down in it, holding her chin over it, batting at the vent with her paws. She will also walk over top of it so it gets her belly. The cutest thing is she even rolls on them... I don't get this girl. Is she just playing with it??

You can see in the last picture she is about to start batting at the air with her right paw lol...

Does anyone else's kitty do this?

I just want to make sure she is ok. I've never seen another kitty do this before. So I guess what I want to know is if you think I just have a silly girl or if I should speak to her vet about this.

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I just want to make sure she is ok. I've never seen another kitty do this before. So I guess what I want to know is if you think I just have a silly girl or if I should speak to her vet about this.
You're not alone, Carleton stands over the vent too. He just likes to feel the air blowing on his face. Our last cat Neely did it as well. In fact, they both stood over the exact same vent in our hallway. Neely had passed away before we adopted Carleton so it's not like he saw her do it and copied her. I don't recall any of our other cats doing this but that was awhile ago so I may just not remember. Funny thing is our dog did it too. :biggrin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're not alone, Carleton stands over the vent too. He just likes to feel the air blowing on his face. Our last cat Neely did it as well. In fact, they both stood over the exact same vent in our hallway. Neely had passed away before we adopted Carleton so it's not like he saw her do it and copied her. I don't recall any of our other cats doing this but that was awhile ago so I may just not remember. Funny thing is our dog did it too. :biggrin:
Ok thank you. That makes me feel better. I think it is so cute but wanted to see what others thought because like I mentioned I've never seen another kitty do it. I just want to make sure she is happy and healthy.

The cute silly little things they do.
❤ 🌬 😺

Thank you again neely neely

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep a fan running near the air vent so that it can circulate the cool air and Willow loves to stand between the two. When it’s warm, cats are just like people and appreciate a cool breeze.
We have 2 fans that are on the floor where 2 other vents are along with the ceiling fan on and she doesn't go infront of the ones with the fans at them.. She doesnt even hang out over those air vents.. lol she will stand and play over all of the ones without the fans though.. it's cold in here today we set it on 68 and she will nuzzle in her bed with her blankie and as soon as the air kicks on she runs over to one.. she is a silly little thing for sure. Once she is done she just goes back to whatever she was doing before the air kicked on hahaha 😆 😂

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she considers it a plaything :wavey::catrub:
After the replies I've received I think it is safe to say you are correct. Lol
Which is absolutely wonderful. I just worry about everything with her. I never wanna see her sick or hurt. I also want to be able to give my little lady the world. After the first year of her life, everything she endured.. she deserves all good things. (I think sometimes I might overcompensate)

danteshuman danteshuman your little man looks good in his harness. I bet he loves his outside time. Your little guy looks so relaxed

Anyway thank you for the responses to each of you. I really do appreciate you taking the time to give me a little piece of mind.