Gabapentin vs. acepromazine

Weezil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again! Well, I have been taking Mama to the vet every 2-3 months to get her claws trimmed, as she will not let me do this at home. My vet gave me acepromazine 10 mg and I had been giving her 1/2 a pill prior to her appointments. I do not know if she is on to me with this medicine, or if she can taste it in the canned food, but this is not working anymore. I went back to the vet (without Mama) the other day and he gave me gabapentin 100 mg capsules, and he said I can open the capsule and put 1/2 of the contents into her food prior to the appointment. Has anyone tried this, and what were the results? If she won't let me cut them at home, hopefully I can get her into the office to get them done. Any advice, please? Thank you!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not sure if you are asking if others had success with their cats readily taking the gabapentin when it was put on their food or if it is a better choice of drug.

gabapentin
Gabapentin mixed with food- how long do I store it.

It is commonly mentioned here on TCS and members use it. Gabapentin is an anti seizure medication that has been useful for pain management and has sedation as one side effect. My dog is on a permanent dose of gabapentin daily and I am happy with his response to it.

I do not know if acepromazine is processed the same in cats as in dogs, but for many in the dog world (including me) it is regarded suspiciously because it basically provides a "chemical restraint" which means that the dog is paralyzed but completely conscious of his surroundings and what is going on. It is trickier in that it can be harder to clear from the system and is susceptible to some genetic variations in the dogs.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried Pill Pockets or other pill dough instead of hiding pills in canned food?

he gave me gabapentin 100 mg capsules, and he said I can open the capsule and put 1/2 of the contents into her food prior to the appointment.
Those types of capsules can't be cut in half because it's not one solid mass. The capsule is made of two halves like in this picture with a green half and the clear half sort of netsled inside a bit.:

The halves can be pulled apart and the contents of the pill sprinkled / mixed into moist food. If only half of the medicine is needed, the halves can be put back together and the remaining contents used for the next time. Obviously don't put the partial pill back into the medicine bottle because you won't be able to find it next time. Store it separately in a clearly labeled container and keep it with the medicine bottle. Or use a large enough container or baggie and store the partial capsule and medicine bottle together.

Here are some pilling tips:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – TheCatSite Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

Ask the vet techs at the office if one of them would be willing to come by every so often on their own time to help you trim the nails. Many vet techs do extra work on the side.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I found with Mocha that it was better to mix half of the capsule in her evening meal the night before her appointment and the other half in her meal the morning of her appointment. When I mixed it in just that morning, she still was quite lively when I tried to get her into the carrier. (She’s a former feral and I can’t pick her up unless I’m very sneaky and move very quickly.) She was much more docile when it had been in her system longer.

It does take patience and a steady hand to divide the powder in half. There really isn’t much in the capsule.