Gabapentin Timing Related To Appetite? Sick Cat Not Eating or Drinking

jazee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For those that have given their cats Gabapentin, did you find any pattern as how far before or after their typical mealtime to time the dose to maximize the chance it will help them eat more? My cat is also on Mirataz mirtazapine ointment the past two days and it hasn't gotten him eating. Just started the low dose Gaba yesterday to keep him comfortable before running more tests tomorrow and giving him some more subcutaneous fluids. It's half the dose you would give him as a sedative before going to the vet. I'm concerned the combination of the two is making him so drowsy that's part of the reason other than having a fever, that he's not interested in eating. He does have enough energy to once or twice a day use the littler box then straight back to sleep (I'm force feeding him small quantities of blended Hill's A/D and unsalted bone broth but I'm trying to get him eating and drinking a little on his own so I don't have to force feed him so frequently.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure how to respond about the gabapentin, but I do want to forewarn you that if there is a chance that any nausea is involved, you need anti-nausea meds in addition to the Mirataz. There is not much worse than thinking a cat is nauseous but hungry at the same time. Ondansetron or Cerenia are the things to try for helping with nausea. The former works better for nausea, the latter is better for vomiting.