Gabapentin Not Working For Car Ride Anxiety?

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have posted before about our 12 year old tuxie who hates car rides and based on suggestions I received and the fact that we tried everything else we asked the vet to give us a script for something and she gave us Gabapentin in a liquid form. She suggested starting at 60mg but said the full dose was 100mg. Our cat is a 17 pound female. We gave it 90 minutes prior to the trip as recommended. The drive is about four hours long. On the way there we gave 60 mg and prior to getting in the car she was very relaxed, sleepy and loopy. But as soon as she was in the car she began meowing and panting and did so for the entire four hours. I had cool air blowing on her, she otherwise loves her carrier but it did not help at all. On the way back we gave her 100mg and she was out until of course we put her in the car and the meowing started. It cut down on the meowing maybe 10% it did not cause her to sleep at all, and there were times she was trying to meow and it was just a muted meow. So she was still anxious.

She is normally a very happy go lucky cat and never gets anxious except in the car. She loves all humans hardly ever hisses or growls and adjusts well to new places. We travel about 6 times a year to visit my Mother. And we have been doing this for about three years now. She goes to my moms more than the vet. We drove with her in the car from CA to DC and after the first day the meowing stopped. She flies on the plane fine too. It seems in the car the meowing intensifies if any of the humans speak. If we are silent she is quieter but not totally quiet.

Once we arrive at the destination it’s like nothing happened she’s back to her old self. Her sister on the other hand is silent in the car but hisses and growls for a day or so once we arrive.

I’ve told my fiancé that I think we just need to leave them both at home and get a sitter. It’s sad because she truly enjoys visiting my mom who lives out in the country but I don’t know what else to do. I know some humans that take sedatives don’t have an effect but this medicine had no effect on her.

She’s always been like this since she was a kitten. Does anyone have any explanation? I mean you think she would give up when she did not get a response 2 hours in!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Some cats get motion sickness but maybe in your case currently, the road is bumpier or your tires are noisier than on that long trip?

Have you tried a large lightweight towel covering the carrier? This is just about the only thing that seems to help my boy at all (lightweight so it doesn't impede air flow as much)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Some cats get motion sickness but maybe in your case currently, the road is bumpier or your tires are noisier than on that long trip?

Have you tried a large lightweight towel covering the carrier? This is just about the only thing that seems to help my boy at all (lightweight so it doesn't impede air flow as much)
The roads are definitely bumpy they are mostly back country roads versus the highway so that could be it. We have tried covering the carrier but not in combination with Gabapentin. I am just perplexed as to how she’s having zero effect from the meds or very small effect.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like she does have some effects --until she's in the car, and then the sound, the motion, the bumpiness or everything is actually more than the effects of the meds.

You've had your vehicle in for maintenance, so there's no chance of fumes coming in from a damaged tailpipe or anything like that?

I’ve told my fiancé that I think we just need to leave them both at home and get a sitter.
Unless you can find a different route, even for part of the drive, I think this is a better choice. The panting that she experienced would bother me, and I don't know, but her increase in meowing when you speak honestly sounds like she's asking for help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she does have some effects --until she's in the car, and then the sound, the motion, the bumpiness or everything is actually more than the effects of the meds.

You've had your vehicle in for maintenance, so there's no chance of fumes coming in from a damaged tailpipe or anything like that?

Unless you can find a different route, even for part of the drive, I think this is a better choice. The panting that she experienced would bother me, and I don't know, but her increase in meowing when you speak honestly sounds like she's asking for help.
Thanks yes I think that’s what we are going to have to do just leave her at home. No there are no fumes and it does not matter which car. We’ve taken her in mine too same result.