Gabapentin for cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Can you find a house call vet?
I considered it, but he'd hiss and growl at anyone that tries to touch him in his own home too. I feel like at a vet he'd have less places to hide and can't run

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Tessa is a sweet little baby who can get crazy at the vet. She has a lot of health problems. She needed to have her blood pressure checked as well as some X-rays, and I knew the only possible way of that happening was to use the Gabapentin she’d been prescribed. I only gave it to her 2 hours before we went. She was much, much calmer but basically sedated. She stayed pretty dopey the rest of the afternoon, but I think it was worth it. She was definitely way less stressed. I didn’t like the grogginess but in this case I think the pros outweighed the cons.
We go to a cat only vet to reduce the stress of dogs (she fears dogs) and we usually skip the temperature check, as that’s a guaranteed way to make her extra angry.
I hope your kitty’s visit goes well

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Just an update. I gave it to him 2 hours before the appt. as directed.
It did nothing. He still yowled, howled, growled, snarled and fought the vet. But thankfully, they managed with a team of three, to get him in one of those cat onsies thingy to get blood.

Guess next time I would have to give him double dosage or the entire dang bottle (no, I will not actually do that).
So much for a peaceful and mostly stress-free vet visit!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It did nothing. He still yowled, howled, growled, snarled and fought the vet. But thankfully, they managed with a team of three, to get him in one of those cat onsies thingy to get blood.

Guess next time I would have to give him double dosage or the entire dang bottle (no, I will not actually do that).
Yikes, sorry to hear it went so badly, particularly since (IMO, anyway) that stuff's not the easiest to administer. (Of course not all cats spit it back at their people like Edwina did!) Those onesie things are not easy; our cats have needed that, too.

You could try something like Composure (calming chews/treats) or Rescue Remedy for pets (drops you can add to food) next time. Those both take the edge off for our cats.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Draco Draco !

Many folks give gabapentin in two doses before a Vet visit.........one, the evening before....and, the second a few hours before the appointment.

This is the kind of med where the effect is heightened with the second dosing. I'd be giving it 3 hours before the visit, giving it a chance to 'kick in' at max strength.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Draco Draco !

Many folks give gabapentin in two doses before a Vet visit.........one, the evening before....and, the second a few hours before the appointment.

This is the kind of med where the effect is heightened with the second dosing. I'd be giving it 3 hours before the visit, giving it a chance to 'kick in' at max strength.
Yeah, my vet says 3 hours before is the sweet spot.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
he ate the pill without issue (of course he'd eat anything i put before him). The vet said 2 hours before visit, I wasn't comfortable with stepping out of their advice especially when I don't know how the meds would affect him. If there's a next time, I will do it sooner as well as two dosages separated.

even 3 hours later, he's still functioning. maybe a little wobbly but otherwise nothing with his temperment had changed. guess one pill wasn't enough for him

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
9 hours after giving him the pill, I don’t like how he’s acting. How long does it take to wear off?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
9 hours after giving him the pill, I don’t like how he’s acting. How long does it take to wear off?
Gabapentin is supposed to wear off in 8 - 12 hours. The first time I gave our cat Gabapentin the vet told me to let them know if he's too groggy because the dosage may have to be adjusted. Obviously not all cats react the same way. I would let your vet know about his behavior if it continues and ask them about the dose.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
How's he doing today?
Gabapentin is supposed to wear off in 8 - 12 hours. The first time I gave our cat Gabapentin the vet told me to let them know if he's too groggy because the dosage may have to be adjusted. Obviously not all cats react the same way. I would let your vet know about his behavior if it continues and ask them about the dose.
he’s back to himself this morning. I hated seeing him so not himself, stumbling into his water dish and sleeping weird. Thankfully it wore off! Sorry for being paranoid, first time giving him this drug and it scared me.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
he’s back to himself this morning. I hated seeing him so not himself, stumbling into his water dish and sleeping weird. Thankfully it wore off! Sorry for being paranoid, first time giving him this drug and it scared me.
Oh, that's good to hear. And totally understandable to be concerned when not having given it to him before.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only have experience with the liquid form, but the 8-12 hours sounds right to me. I don't recall any stumbling, but at home Sparkle is very calm post gaba. She even tolerates the kids more.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Draco Draco !

I’d agree. I gave it 2 hours before and noticed Tessa seemed a bit relaxed but was wayyyy more relaxed around 3 hours, after her visit was over

Fergusboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My vet prescribed kitty valium for my very skittish boy and it worked well to calm him down so I could get flea meds on him.