Gabapentin for bladder issues?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Vet gave us that as well as an antibiotic on Friday. Oreo wasn't peeing but drops. They said her urine was bloody. They didn't see any crystals or stones during the ultrasound. Sent us home with 2 cans of RC urinary so to try and my other cat has the dry so she is getting that twice and wet twice. She was peeing today and last night (friday) about a donut hole size clumps. She has had 2 antibiotics doses and 2 doses of gabapentin. I skipped any Saturday as she was feeling better. Vet said as needed. Well late Saturday/Sunday morning she went in the litter box but nothing was there when I went to scoop. So I gave her some gabapentin. Would she not be able to pee because not having it? Why can't she go again? The only vet open on Sundays is 2 hours away. :( I have prazosin if need be. i hope she pees soon.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, you only got 2 doses each of gabapentin and antibiotics, or that is all you have given her so far? She needs to stay on both meds. I am unclear on why any vet would tell you to give her an antibiotic on an as needed basis. The gabapentin might help her to pee as it should help with any pain she might be feeling, and it can work as a relaxant too. It works better if given consistently. Do not give her prazoin, unless that med has been prescribed for her. It is for high blood pressure and for those cats who have congestive heart failure. If neither of these apply to her, they are not meant to be given to her and could cause additional issues.

Did the vet want you to bring her back when they open again? Call their office and see if they have a referral contact that you could call during the hours they are closed to tell them what is going on.

How is your cat doing otherwise?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She peed about 2.5 hours after getting the gabapentin. The gabapentin was give as needed basis. Not the antibiotics. And yes she had had 2 doses of each.
No the prazosin is given to relax the urethra so they can pee. It was a life save years ago when one of my other cats couldn't pee.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been. Hasn't made a difference

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The praxis in is used to treat spasms in the urethra.
Did they do an X-ray to rule out bladder stones? Also before using antibiotics, it’s a good idea to send out a urine culture to identify what bacteria and the antibiotic it is susceptible to.
Sometimes they can miss stones in an ultrasound, especially if the bladder is small due to the cat having cystitis.
Did they do a urinalysis?
Often times cats presenting with blood in the urine and frequent small amounts of urine and female, have stones.
I would contact your vet in the morning to give an update.