Gabapentin Dose?

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet has prescribed gabapentin (pre vet visit) for my 4 year old former feral Bella who never liked going to the vet, but has gotten worse since her anal glands were emptied. (She actually screamed in pain). Last attempt to take her failed as she literally tried to climb walls to get away. She is good once she gets to the vet. ( I think she is too scared to move.) Originally, she wanted me to give her 100 mg tonight and another 100 mg tomorrow 3 hours before her visit. I questioned that and she said just give her the dose tomorrow. 100 mg seems so high. Anyone have any experience with gabapentin? By the way Bella is normally a sweet girl.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a human doctor, not a vet but I have used Gabapentin in human patients, but only for nerve pain due to pressure on nerves. However many patients have complained that a side effect is sedation. (Another side effect is unsteadiness.) Presumably the side effect of sedation is why Gabapentin is used in feline medicine.

Cats may have different reactions to human medicines. However in humans the dose is 25 mgms to over 1500 mgms so that you can see that there is a very large safety range. As your vet has told you that it is safe to give your cat the extra 100 mgms, then I am sure that you could do so safely.

With kind regards to you both,
Geoffrey