Gabapentin + Anesthesia before CT & X-Rays? I'm so worried!

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is super fractious and gets so stressed out going to the vet. I have to give her gabapentin before and once the adrenalin hits it's like she's not on anything. It's like she's possessed. I have an hour car ride to the vet to get the CT scan and X-Rays, much longer than her normal vet which is like 10-15 minutes. I think that's the longest she's been in a car. I have to give her the gaba to get her in the carrier and she gets so stressed out anyway (not to mention I will be a mess the whole time too-I know I should stay calm for her sake but I'm already a mess). To do the scan and x-rays they will definitely need to give her anesthesia, but I'm concerned about giving that + gabapentin. When I called they said gaba is safe and there should not be any interaction, but I'm still concerned. She's so little. She has asthma.

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm so scared! :bawling2:

Edit: In notes, regular vet noted she will need sedation with dexdomitor on top of gaba
Edit 2: She gets 200mg of gaba. Is 6.5lbs-ish

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Should not be a problem.
My younger one used to be somewhat fractious too. She had to have a dew claw removed that grew into her foot and was infected. Our vet knew she would do better if she arrived calm instead of getting worked up beforehand and possibly being unmanageable.
I was assured there was no issue giving the gabapentin beforehand, since it has a very short half life. Leaves the body quickly. I trust my vet implicitly, never been steered wrong. Luna came through surgery just fine, no incident.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. They may be able to administer more gabapentin, rather than actual anesthesia. Most x-rays and many ultrasounds can be done without any anesthesia, so I would ask about administering more gabapentin rather than another form of sedation and see what they say. At least that way, they are not giving her two different types of meds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. They may be able to administer more gabapentin, rather than actual anesthesia. Most x-rays and many ultrasounds can be done without any anesthesia, so I would ask about administering more gabapentin rather than another form of sedation and see what they say. At least that way, they are not giving her two different types of meds.
When my regular vet sent the referral she noted my cat will need sedation with dexdomitor on top of gaba

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also she will get 200mg of gaba and is 6.5lbs-ish. Idk if that's a lot for a little cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When my regular vet sent the referral she noted my cat will need sedation with dexdomitor on top of gaba... Also she will get 200mg of gaba and is 6.5lbs-ish. Idk if that's a lot for a little cat.
That may be so, but if you are going to a specialty vet for the x-rays and ultrasound, they have a 'right' to choose something else. You also have a right to ask them about your vet's choices and if they are appropriate.

I am not a vet, but personally speaking, 200 mg would seem to be a lot for a cat of that size - but all cats have different tolerance levels. If she is really 'knocked out', the vets who are doing the testing may see no reason for any additional meds. All you can do is express your concerns, which will draw their attention to the fact that they need to be cautious.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First, I would say the vets are doing what they think is best in order to get your cat the care she needs. However, if you are uncomfortable, you can voice your concerns and ask them about it. I have discussed toning down meds with my vets before and they were amenable to my concerns. You know your cat best, after all, even if she becomes fractious at the vet.

As for gabapentin + anesthetic - in my experience, when I was a nurse assistant at a cat clinic, we adopted standard routine for ALL surgery patient (so not just fractious cats, but all patients getting anesthetic and intubation) to receive 100mg of gabapentin the night before surgery, and the morning of. This was done to reduce the stress of being poked and induced and, in theory, to prevent young kittens becoming fractious in the future based on the stressful experience of being spayed/neutered.

I am not a vet but this was a Fear Free practice we adopted and can only give my experience. The 100mg the night before acted as a "loading dose" to get it in their system in advance so the dose the next day would be more effective. We recommended to give about 12 hours apart.

While your cat is not having surgery, it is a sort of similar thing- she still needs to be poked to be sedated. Can you maybe ask about giving 100mg the night before and 100mg that morning as a compromise?

Have you given your cat gabapentin before (and what dose) and how did she cope with that? My 8-9 lb girl was very sensitive to drugs and 100mg was too much so we decreased her dosage to 50mg with the vet's OK when we had to use it.