Fvrcp Shot

chloechance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a kitten last saturday from a rescue. She was found with mom and 2 siblings just days old. Anyways, she is 11 weeks due for her 2nd booster this week. She recieved initial shot. So bc she got the first shot coukd she still be at risk of carrying any of the viruses.
Here is the thing. I have a 10 yr old cat who is essentially dying from an adrenal tumor and heart disease. She has been ok until today. She is lethargic, not eating, diarrhea and vomiting (began just now). I dont know if its just her other illnesses catching up to her or the kitten (who is acting fine. Eating & playing) is carrying a virus that Chloe could have gotten. I am so worried. I have a 9 yr old cat too that appears fine. Is it a coincidence? Just unsure. If the kittens tested negative for felv and fiv and had 1st set of shots can kitten still carry something and act fine but something to my already ill cat?!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's doubtful that the kitten gave anything to your older cat, but when you take the kitten in for the booster, you can ask the vet about it. It sounds like your 10-year-old is showing signs of her illness and it's unrelated to the kitten.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree that she's likely showing signs of her illness. If the younger kitten has had her first set of shots and is due for second booster, it would be highly unlikely for her to be carrying something.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I got a kitten last saturday from a rescue. She was found with mom and 2 siblings just days old. Anyways, she is 11 weeks due for her 2nd booster this week. She recieved initial shot. So bc she got the first shot coukd she still be at risk of carrying any of the viruses.
Here is the thing. I have a 10 yr old cat who is essentially dying from an adrenal tumor and heart disease. She has been ok until today. She is lethargic, not eating, diarrhea and vomiting (began just now). I dont know if its just her other illnesses catching up to her or the kitten (who is acting fine. Eating & playing) is carrying a virus that Chloe could have gotten. I am so worried. I have a 9 yr old cat too that appears fine. Is it a coincidence? Just unsure. If the kittens tested negative for felv and fiv and had 1st set of shots can kitten still carry something and act fine but something to my already ill cat?!
Even if your ill cat is up to date on her shots, her immune system is weakened, and vaccines aren't 100% effective. The kitten also doesn't have full immunity after just the first round of shots and can still become ill, for example with a mild case of feline flu, and pass it to your older cat (or vice-versa). I wouldn't assume that it's simply the preexisting condition. Kittens also have to be treated for parasites more than once, so it's possible she could pass them on even though she herself isn't showing obvious symptoms.