Future Cats

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!
What do you think the average pet cats will be like in the future? Do you think that they will become more unhealthy like some breeds of dogs due to selective breeding?

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While spay/neuter efforts have made a ton of progress, we're still a loooong way from the point where the majority of cat litters will be planned breedings, so I don't think cats are going to have the same issues that some dog breeds do within the foreseeable future.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think people are quite as into cat breeds as they are dog breeds. Most people can name a couple breeds (In my experience they know Persians and think tabby is a breed), but not as extensively as dogs. I don't see cats getting quite as messed up by breeding as dogs. There's also more unplanned pregnancies with cats since they're often allowed to roam as they please, and that keeps the gene pool full of mixed-breed kitties. Certainly, there will be some cat breeds that become increasingly more unhealthy but I don't see the majority of house cats moving in that direction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you are both right. Thanks for your input! It’s interesting to see different purrspectives. (Ha)