Fussy Cat Not Eating Wet Food

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lulu is the most different cat I've ever owned. One thing she does is only eat one or two wet food options at a time, over and over. Then suddenly she drops one and won't touch it. Well now she has dropped the two she liked. She's only eating dry food, and she's drinking tons of water. I have read that is a good thing because they need more water when eating only dry food. She eats Purina Pro Plan and cannot have fish. Her options are very limited because there's fish in lots of chicken or beef options. Has anyone experienced this? I am still offering her the wet food twice a day like I always did but she sniffs it and goes to the dry. It's stressing me out.

Edited to say she's acting perfectly normal in all other ways.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Try taking a couple pieces of kibble, crushing them, and sprinkling them on top. I’d also suggest removing kibble around an hour before and after you offer wet food. There are a number of good wet food options without fish; if you’re on a budget this includes FF Classics (non fish recipes don’t have fish), Tiny Tiger, and American Journey. For less budget options you have things like Instinct, Ziwipeak, TikiCat/Tiki Cat After Dark, Feline Natural, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. Im going broke on pro plan. They just raised the prices over $5 for a 24 pack on some flavors.

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am in a very similar situation and am looking for advice. Phoebe had a favorite food, Fancy Feast trout feast, but it is impossible to find right now. She seemed to like Weruva chicken soup as a kitten, so I was thrilled when I saw it in the store and bought 20 cans. Now she refuses to eat any.

She hasn’t lost weight, surprisingly, because she barely touches her dry food. My dad told me she would eat when she got hungry…but she never seems hungry!

I fear that she is not getting enough calories. As a growing kitten, she would eat three 3-oz.cans a day! Now she is a “teen” and I know she doesn’t need as many calories. Should I be worried?

18D81287-900E-4C25-BD49-23DB89B67935.jpeg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you so much. Im going broke on pro plan. They just raised the prices over $5 for a 24 pack on some flavors.
Just as a quick note, Fancy Feast Classics DO contain fish even though fish might not be listed on main label. For instance, Chicken Feast Classic has fish, so does Beef Feast Classic. The only one that I know of that does NOT contain fish anymore is the Turkey and Giblet Feast Classic, and they could have added fish by now. My cats will no longer touch FF because they don't like fish. It's quite annoying that they've changed their recipes.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am in a very similar situation and am looking for advice. Phoebe had a favorite food, Fancy Feast trout feast, but it is impossible to find right now. She seemed to like Weruva chicken soup as a kitten, so I was thrilled when I saw it in the store and bought 20 cans. Now she refuses to eat any.

She hasn’t lost weight, surprisingly, because she barely touches her dry food. My dad told me she would eat when she got hungry…but she never seems hungry!

I fear that she is not getting enough calories. As a growing kitten, she would eat three 3-oz.cans a day! Now she is a “teen” and I know she doesn’t need as many calories. Should I be worried?

View attachment 412017
That a beauty she is! So is she still eating any wet food, or what is she eating, if not dry? She should not go too long without eating anything or that can result in a health issue called Fatty Liver. I try not to let mine go more than 36 hours without any food before I force feed them. I've had a couple of very picky cats (have one now) and it seems if I serve something they don't like, even if they are really hungry, they simply will not eat it. They will have food sitting out and still be begging for food. It exasperating, to say the least. But they know what they don't like, that's for sure. Anyway, as long as she's not losing weight, I'd say she is consuming enough calories. But keep an eye on her to make sure her weight doesn't start dropping if you don't feel she's eating enough. That's what I have to do. If she does start losing, have a Vet check her out, just to be on the safe side.

In the meantime, keep trying different foods, different textures, brands, proteins to see if you can find something that suits her fancy. I know Nutro used to make a Catfish and Trout wet food, not sure if they still do or not.