FURminator!

freaknpink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I picked up the FURminator on a whim while at Petco yesterday and omg it's amazing enough that I had to post about it. I've wanted to try one out for over a year now, but couldn't justify spending $40 on what I thought was pretty much another brush to me. Ransom has been getting terrible mats all over that no amount of brushing was preventing anymore. This thing removes piles of hair from the undercoat in just a few strokes. He was looking dry with no shine to his coat and after one use he is soft and getting his sheen back to his coat.

While it won't remove mats...it's the best thing I've used that's going to prevent them. I kinda feel like I'm probably the last person on earth to get one...if you haven't you should try it out. I bought a knock off one at Walmart a few years ago and it doesn't do anything...I should also add that Ransom HATES to be brushed..but loves when I use the FURminator on him.

After I bought it I realized you can get them on amazon for about half what I paid at Petco..I highly recommend this product.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=furminator&tag=&tag=thecatsite

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a Furminator for my older (three years old) DSH cat. I use it maybe twice a month? Otherwise I use the Zoom Groom. The Furminator does a great job but I'm always concerned if it's too "harsh" for my cats. Definitely not something I'd use everyday.

For my DLH a Furminator is NG - no good. He's still a kitten and his coat is very fragile. I've also heard that for long haired cats a Furminator is actually not ideal due to its harshness? I use a de-shedding comb on him (one with alternating teeth), a metal comb with wide and fine teeth, and a flea comb for touch ups. 

Surprisingly the combs work well on the DSH too. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

freaknpink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a Furminator for my older (three years old) DSH cat. I use it maybe twice a month? Otherwise I use the Zoom Groom. The Furminator does a great job but I'm always concerned if it's too "harsh" for my cats. Definitely not something I'd use everyday.

For my DLH a Furminator is NG - no good. He's still a kitten and his coat is very fragile. I've also heard that for long haired cats a Furminator is actually not ideal due to its harshness? I use a de-shedding comb on him (one with alternating teeth), a metal comb with wide and fine teeth, and a flea comb for touch ups. 

Surprisingly the combs work well on the DSH too. :)
Thanks for your suggestions actually looked at the zoom groom too yesterday...but thought it wouldn't do anything by the looks of it and I don't have a comb yet so I'll check that out as well. I got pal rewards I'm itching to use up this month and now I know what I'll spend them on.

Thanks!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You definitely want to get a comb for your longhair kitty. It will get all the way through the fur instead of just skimming over the surface the way a brush does. I recommend getting one that has two sets of teeth, wide-spaced on one end or side, close-spaced on the other.

There are several different styles, personally I prefer the kind with a handle.

Double sided with handle

Regular comb shape with 2 sets of teeth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

freaknpink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You definitely want to get a comb for your longhair kitty. It will get all the way through the fur instead of just skimming over the surface the way a brush does. I recommend getting one that has two sets of teeth, wide-spaced on one end or side, close-spaced on the other.

Double sided with handle

I took both of your suggestions and ordered a double sided comb. Also a strange looking mat remover and a zoomgroom mostly for my two short haired cats. Thanks a lot!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

Double sided with handle

I took both of your suggestions and ordered a double sided comb. Also a strange looking mat remover and a zoomgroom mostly for my two short haired cats. Thanks a lot!
Let us know how your cats like them.