Fur Rubbed Off By Collar?

jennifer26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've noticed that the fur around my little guy's throat under and adjacent to his collar has totally rubbed off. It's normal but matted on the rest of his head and around collar. His collar isn't too tight - I can put a few fingers below it which is what I thought was recommended. I have never seen him lick or scratch that area excessively.

I am not sure what to do? Change collars? Loosen the existing one up even more? The skin doesn't look raw but should I be putting any ointment on it?

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This does happen with some cats. Happened with mine after he wore his collar for only a week and I could see the fur thinning under the collar. Collar was not tight. I just removed it.

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats have a bald ring that I didn't really notice til it was already like that. The skin isn't bothered or irritated and they don't mind wearing collars. I switched to beastie bands which are really light and it helped, but I think most cats that wear a collar have some hair loss.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with M MRG2018 and Hugospal Hugospal that some degree of hair loss is expected with a collar. A lighter, more slippery collar will probably cause less hair to be abraded away. It all depends on what’s important, the hair or the fact that your cat can readily be identified as having a home. All my cats wear collars with ID tags, because you never know when one will get out. I’ve seen significant hair loss on only one of the 20+ I’ve been owned by.

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hugospal Hugospal thank you for the beastie bands recommendation. Just ordered one. I think that would work for my cat. He hates collars.