Fur Missing

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi guys!
I'm new to the forums and I have a strange issue with my kitty that has stumped both the emergency vet and his regular vet. Sowilo has fur missing on the third digit of both front paws. There is no missing fur elsewhere, he's not ill , not walking funny, bright and alert and it doesn't seem to cause him pain. It's very odd that it would be localized on both front paws and the same digit.

Any ideas?
Oh he's strictly indoors as are his two sisters

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH GOODIE! A MYSTERY STORY! Not making light of your cat's fur loss, but it is a puzzle and I'm fond of puzzles. I'm going to make a couple of assumptions here (and I know how those are, so correct me if I am wrong). These vets are good, reputable and trusted vets, so they would have checked for mange mites and ringworm, just to make certain, right? If not, in the very early stages of either, the skin doesn't look that bad.

Skin looks normal? Healthy and pink? Does he over-groom those areas that you've seen? Has the fur just recently gone missing, or is this something from kittenhood? I'm betting it is recent, or you'd have had him in to be checked before now.

SO...we can hear that all three of my brain cells are firing in tandem for once, so here are some thoughts, and they are admittedly kinda out there. First...is there a genetic component to this? There are several hairless cat breeds (Sphinx, Peterbald) and one semi-hairless (Lykoi) breed that I know of. The Lykoi is very new and the result of a naturally occuring genetic mutation, so that can happen. And I've seen one Sphinx kitten who was born with fuzz and then lost some of it later. So I know THAT can happen.

The other thing that occurs is, is there perhaps some repetitive action that he performs while playing or such that might cause the hair in those areas to actually wear away? I know it can happen in people. I mean, have you ever looked closely at an elderly man's lower legs? Mostly hairless from the constant friction of pants rubbing over time. Stop looking at me funny. I worked in hospitals for years and have seen MUCH more than my share of old men's legs. But we digress. Friction wear could have caused it. Reaching repeatedly under a door, maybe? Something like that, at any rate.

Other than that, I gots nuttin. And I admit that the "something" I do have is a bit "X Files." Still, he is otherwise bright, healthy and alert, so that's to the good! Keep me posted on this, if you don't mind. I'd love to know what is causing this.

I haven't been to check on new members yet, but if you haven't done it yet, click on this link New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and Sowilo to the community. Until I see you there, welcome to TCS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah it's super weird! Definitely not ringworm or fungal issue! No way is it mites or the other fur babes would be covered as well as the hamster! He doesn't put his paws under doors cause we keep all except the bathroom open at all times. I thought maybe pillow paws but that to doesn't explain it. No redness, soreness, or infection.
The Vets ( both of them ) gave him a clean bill of health. He is a grumpy older bro that's very affectionate to mom and dad and Persephone and Ophelia all the time but has "issues" with our toddler son Rune. But still not an anxiety issue cause he still does love his life normally. The genetic idea is one I pondered. Considering it's the same digit on both front paws, no other digits are missing fur.
He's a domestic shorthair. I've always suspected some Bombay tho

caitkeating

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten has similar issues and it is mostly because she is very OCD about grooming herself and sometimes will bite at her claws. It may be an issue as simple as that!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And should that be the case, you can try brewing a cup of chamomile tea, chilling it in the fridge, and giving him up to one tablespoon per dose, up to three times a day. It will calm him. You can also try applying it to the bare patches. If they are itchy, it will soothe that, as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's an excellent idea! I will definitely give it a try.

Poor little guy looks so funny with two hairless knuckles. Doesn't bother him but he looks so cute when he walks to me.