Fur baby is meowing loudly in hallway

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She meows/yowls-like in the hallway randomly. She is fixed and only 1.5 years old. She seems pretty healthy. Is there anything I should be worried about? What could cause this? I hope she is okay!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a few things. I think it isn’t likely illness if she is eating and otherwise acting normally. She might be calling to you because she wants something or attention, but it could also be just her variation of the zoomies where they just need to let it all out. My oldest cat had always howled at imaginary things on the walls or ceiling when she gets in a playful mood.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You could try putting some of her favorite toys in the hallway and see if that helps lessen her meows/yowling. It could be worse, e.g. we had a cat that would wait until I got in the hallway and then come running after me to nip my ankles. :biggrin: He only did it when I was in the hall.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fancy walks around meowing. She'll walk right past me, into another room, and start meowing for no reason. My other cat will look at me with a WTF? expression. She has no idea what Fancy is doing either.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She also might like the echo. My late cat Lily used to howl in the tub.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it's only in the hallway. Thank you guys for the help!
When you say hallway, is it by any chance near your front door to your home? Or another closed door to a room she doesn't have access to?

I live in an apartment building in the city, and my mom also lives in another building near me. We each have cats, and BOTH of them sit by the front door meowing because they want to go out into the apartment halls. To them, it's an exciting place they are not allowed.

Which is funny because we do sometimes let our cats out in the hall (in both our buildings, the outer halls are safe spaces and they can't really go anywhere). But once they get out into the "exciting" hallway, they realize there's nothing to do and kind of sniff around for a bit before coming back inside. 😂

But I think their interest comes from the fact they can hear people walking through out there, and imagine it's an interesting place they are normally denied access to. Just wondering if your cat is meowing outside of a doorway to somewhere she wants to go.