Funny thing happened at the grocery store today...

whisker's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well....

I did my regular sunday groceries today but ended up being "somewhat" entertained.

An elderly lady (I'd give her about 70-75) went over to the peach section, dumped a basket and re-loaded it selecting peaches of her liking to fill it. My first thought was "Hey...how come I've never thought of doing THAT????". You know, you grab a basket, get home and find 4-5 rotten ones on the bottom. Not this little lady. She went home with a perfect basket.

That in itself was not the "funny" thing. She started to walk away, came back and grabbed one more peach. While she was walking to the next aisle, I saw her stuff "the peach" into her purse. What???? I do not understand this at all because all she really had to do was throw it into her basket because.....they charge for the basket and not for how many peaches are in it.

I guess, had it been something else, I may have said something but knowing it really didn't make a difference, I didn't.

I don't know....is there some kind of a thrill in making it out of the grocery store with that one "unpurchased" product?????

And what gets me is that we should "Lead by example". This one lady certainly is not a great example, even if what she took does not make a difference at the cash register.

I saw her do it. Maybe others did to? Others with children?

Would you have told someone knowing there was no $$ value there? I keep wondering if that's all she did take. *sigh* Maybe I should have said something, just so that she knew someone had actually seen her do it. Guess it's too late now.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may not have been the only one who saw the lady take the peach. I used to work as a cashier at Shopko (discount store) a few years ago. I know that the security people there had a lot of really strict rules and regulations they had to follow in order to catch a shoplifter, and I'm sure there are rules and regulations that have to be followed in Canada also.

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's pretty crazy of her to do that in front of people!