"fungus" On Kitten's Muzzle?

IsabelleMadeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I started fostering an apx. 10 week old kitten a few weeks and about 10 days ago noticed that she started getting a greenish tint to her muzzle (photos below). When I looked at it closely, it almost looked a layer of some sort of a fungus, somewhat mold-like looking - I have fostered cats and kittens many times in the past and have never seen this, nor did I see exactly this when I tried to google what it could be. I ended up taking the kitten to the rescue's vet who seemed a little stumped and said maybe it could be ringworm, took a sample of her fur, gave her a shot that they said may help (unfortunately I don't know the name of the medication) and said that it will take 2 weeks to get the results (this was about 5 days ago).

Her muzzle has gradually started to look worse and a few days ago it started looking like scabs - not sure if this is a sign of healing and it will fall off or if it's simply getting worse. The rescue brought her to the vet again today and told me that he said that it's "dirt and can be washed off" (I live in an apartment with no access to any kind of dirt and I'm sure it's also not from getting food on her while she eats). Now I am not a vet but I am pretty sure this is not dirt and I'm starting to get very skeptical about this vet. I am thinking about waiting for a couple more days and maybe going to my own vet with her but thought that I would put this out to the board in the meantime to see if anyone has has experienced this with their kitties. By the way, the closest I came in looking for clues online were food allergies. She did have a big bout of diarrhea from the food the rescue gave me right before the greenish outbreak but I didn't think it was related. Not completely sure now...

Just a little backstory on her from the rescue - she was apparently found when she was a few weeks old, bottle fed for a short time and since then had endless issues with diarrhea, ringworm, Coccidia and just yesterday I also found round worm in her poop so she's going to get dewormed. The rescue told me that overall she has improved a lot but she still had these issues going on and I just want this beautiful tiny baby to get well.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm a bit stumped, myself. It kinda looks like feline acne gone wild, but kinda doesn't...OK. Let's go with what we know could help. Scrupulously clean feeding dishes, made of metal or glass, scrubbed after every use. Try cleaning the affected area with Stridex pads. If this IS feline acne, that will help clear it up. If not, it won't hurt a thing. Try brewing a cup of chamomile tea, chilling it in the fridge, and washing her face with that between Stridex cleanings. The chamomile is both antibacterial and antifungal, and may help, as well. The tea may be kept in the fridge for 3 days. DO use commercial tea bags, as those are only made with German chamomile, which is medicinal and is not toxic for cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IsabelleMadeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Mamalyt and Nansiludie,

Thanks for the tips - she's not sneezing or coughing and she's been acting completely normal and is very playful. I just picked her up from the vet this evening and it's actually looking much better than yesterday - the green cast is mostly gone and now it's just a lighter brown color so it looks like it's clearing up substantially. I think it just might be on its way to healing but I'm still quite bewildered about what could have caused it...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And you may never know. Cats get into so much! One of life's little mysteries, then. I'm just glad that she's getting better!

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks fungus-y to me too, though I'm not a vet.

You could try these?

These things clear up my cats yeasty ears and pretty much every other little skin thing we've come across. They say they are safe to use on sensitive areas like the genitals so I would think you could use them there on the muzzle as long as it doesn't got too close to her eyes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IsabelleMadeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, Hugospal, it ended up clearing up completely and she just got adopted!