Fun toys for senior cats?

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had the same interactive toy that Terra has played with her entire life, and she was OBSESSED with it. Now, she has lost interest. I used to think that not being as interested in physically active play waa just psrt of old age, but I just watched a video hrre that stressed the importance of a variety of toys to keep your cat from growing bored with one.

Terra has LOOOOVEFD Da Bird her entire life, but is rather bored with it now. What are some new options for interactive toys I can get for a 12 year old cat who still has plenty of play left in her?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried some of the aIternate "prey" for Da BIrd? Hek is in Iove with the snake, which is, of course, ground prey. She aIso Iike Da Bee. That's a sIower toy, and doesn't bother her arthritis as much. BUT...I have to make the bee sounds..."BUZZY BUZZY WUZZY" as I make it circIe and hover.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That could be a good idea. I never knew that Da Bird could be that versatile.

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had the same interactive toy that Terra has played with her entire life, and she was OBSESSED with it. Now, she has lost interest. I used to think that not being as interested in physically active play waa just psrt of old age, but I just watched a video hrre that stressed the importance of a variety of toys to keep your cat from growing bored with one.

Terra has LOOOOVEFD Da Bird her entire life, but is rather bored with it now. What are some new options for interactive toys I can get for a 12 year old cat who still has plenty of play left in her?
Have you tried a laser pointer? I haven't met a dog or cat at any age who didn't love it lol. Or how about a feather wand toy or teaser wand? If your cat loves noisy toys (like rattle balls, rattle mice, etc), you could always try those thing in a bag or they make these spiral multi level toys with the ball inside. Good luck finding something that works 😊

D_H

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are more experienced with cats than I am, so I'm sure that you know that cats are... "unique" :lol:
We've got this simple worm that we attach to a rod, and while one cat goes bonkers over it, the other acts like it doesn't even exist.

How old is Terra anyway?

Actually we have the same issue with one of our cats. De Bird is the only exception. Sadly, she managed to cut the rope and tear apart her 'prey'... and getting a replacement here is quite difficult/ expensive.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My senior cats are not intreated in tunnels,lasers,da bird,electronic toys. They still like to hunt and catch things so ground wand toys like go cat catcher,cubes, purrfect leather bouncer, chew toys. Still like to run and jump just not as much. Also cat towers

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
What both of my girls love is a water bottle that I have cut half a dozen holes in with an exacto knife. I throw some kibble or treats in and they have to roll it around to get it out.. they also still up enjoy a fresh catnip toy and occasionally cat springs.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried some of the aIternate "prey" for Da BIrd? Hek is in Iove with the snake, which is, of course, ground prey. She aIso Iike Da Bee. That's a sIower toy, and doesn't bother her arthritis as much. BUT...I have to make the bee sounds..."BUZZY BUZZY WUZZY" as I make it circIe and hover.
Funny! I found I had to make the bee noises too or Betty wasn't interested.

I'm not sure how old Betty is. The shelter thought she was five when I adopted her last year. The vet said she may even be twice that. She moves like an old lady and definitely has arthritis. But she enjoys the laser more than any other toy. I run her for a few minutes each day and that seems to be enough for her.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing that helped a lot is getting long rectangular rugs. Since my floor was changed from carpet to wood my cats stopped playing.
since they are only interested in wand toys, having the rugs made it much more comfortable for them. My seniors do not run around any more,well, Maggie occasionally

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Electric toys scare my cats. Kabuto actualy growled at the tarp thingy that vibrates (can't remember the name) and he never growls. He also went squirly tailed.

I think the fact they move by themselves freaks some cats out. Kabuto also came from the SPCA so I don't know if someone did something to him.

He loves the mice with real rabbit fur. The fabric ones don't have the same appeal.

Real Rabbit Fur Jumbo Pom Pom & Mouse Cat Toy - 10 Pak

He also likes the bamboozler rod toy it is pretty indestructable too and withstands a game of tug o war.

36″ BAMBOOZLERS – 2 Pack | Boinks!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
That could be a good idea. I never knew that Da Bird could be that versatile.
They're attachments so I bought the big butterfly shaped chew toys that make a crunch sound and put that on a wand toy. Also use a shorter string,not long like da bird and move it on the ground like prey

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Electric toys scare my cats. Kabuto actualy growled at the tarp thingy that vibrates (can't remember the name) and he never growls. He also went squirly tailed.

I think the fact they move by themselves freaks some cats out. Kabuto also came from the SPCA so I don't know if someone did something to him.

He loves the mice with real rabbit fur. The fabric ones don't have the same appeal.

Real Rabbit Fur Jumbo Pom Pom & Mouse Cat Toy - 10 Pak

He also likes the bamboozler rod toy it is pretty indestructable too and withstands a game of tug o war.

36″ BAMBOOZLERS – 2 Pack | Boinks!
That's why my cats like go cat catcher. Mouse attachment is like real fur. I'm going to try the bee!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
thefishyone thefishyone does she play at all? (Zoomies, batting at random things, etc.?) If she suddenly stopped playing, a vet visit might be in order to rule out arthritis, heart issues, etc.
My senior cats get spurts of energy (more so now that it's cooling down!) and self-regulate. If I want to get them playing, they still love the laser light and certain toys, but using my fingers to play "thing under the blanket" always interests them and they end up pouncing on my hand. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the feedback! I’m nearly blinf so it will take me some time to reaf everything, but I wanted to address a few things:

I don’t know her exact age since she was a stray I took in many years ago. Based on her dental department at the time I found her, she is most likely 12.

Terra is most definitely NOT a lazy cat, but she does get discouraged easily. I likely need to endure that she catches Da Bird on the fist try.

Laser pointers are very unsatisfying for cats since they can’t catch them Terra is a smart kitty with a lot of sass. As soon as she figures it out, she’ll likely make a point of not playing with it.

The first reply had a good suggestion. Terra has recently begun warming to play in the hallway, so I will try Da Snake and Da Bee.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are 8 and 9 respectively. They both get bored with toys quickly, but still get the zoomies and Mingo catches real mice if they get in the house. He has enjoyed springs the most over his life and will dig one out from under furniture and play with it. He also enjoys this toy sometimes. Lily has a squeaky mouse and squirrel that she plays with. The mouse and squirrel are always on the floor somewhere.