Fumes From Oil Sealant In Basement

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Our basement has flooded several times in the past year, and the only solution available to us is for an oil-based sealant to be applied to the entire perimeter (it's a semi-large basement with a concrete floor). The person who will be doing the work says that there is a latex-based product, but it doesn't do as good a job. Living in a watershed, as we do, we have to have the most effective solution -- but I'm worried about our two cats. He told us that the fumes from the oil product will be smelled all through our house, for up to two weeks. Does anyone know if this time period would be harmful to the cats? We're very worried about this, but we are unable to sell the house and move elsewhere. Thanks for any advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm the person who posted this. I just forgot to add that we were also told that the latex-based product would also create fumes that would be in the house, also for about two weeks. So there isn't a non-toxic choice available to us.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally would say that, yes, the fumes would be harmful. And since you are talking about the work being done in a basement, the fumes will rise and permeate the upper floors and hang around. Yep, 2 weeks is likely the minimum that you'll be smelling the fumes - and this is if the sealant has a chance to cure and dry out properly. The quicker it can dry out and cure, the decrease in the fumes.

I live in an apartment building, and I know that when the building owner has any of the wood floors refinished in an open apartment, just as an example, the fumes from the floor varnish hang around at least 10-14 days and are very apparent. If the apt is on a lower floor, the units right above it can experience the fumes quite strongly. The fumes make you feel sick, dizzy, nauseated, dehydrated, etc. It's awful.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news like that, but if it were me, I would definitely do my best to find a temporary place to stay for you and the cats.
:2cents:

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your replies -- they confirm my fears. We're trying to find out if we can get a sump pump installed: there is no drain/no drainage in the basement, which makes this difficult to solve, and I don't know if a sump pump could even be installed, if we can dig a hole in the cement in order to use one, etc. But, either way, I'd rather have my basement flood than harm the cats.

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!