Full Mouth Extraction.. Not Eating. Please Help

Luna10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My five-year-old felv girl just had a full mouth extraction 3 days ago. I took her back to the vet yesterday because she wasn't eating. Turns out she has an infection. They gave me the Hills Urgent high calorie food to give her. They also gave her a different antibiotic a stronger one.

She's on onsior for pain and inflammation and also one buprenex for pain. Yesterday after she took the onsior I can tell she was feeling pretty good. She won't touch the wet food but she ate a lot of her kibbles yesterday. Today on the other hand, she won't eat. She walks up to her bowl like she wants to but just won't. Kibbles or wet food. So I actually gently force-fed her three times today some of that Hills high calorie food.

How long will it take for the infection to go away? I'm assuming that's why she's not eating. Bc of the pain. And maybe nauseous from the meds. She's very lethargic. After she takes onsior she's feeling great but only lasts a couple hours. Any of your cats get an infection adter a dental? Or have a hard time recovering?

Any advice

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - can you call/email your vet and talk with them about this? The lethargy, lack of appetite, these are concerning issues.
If it's after hours, call the number you have for the vet, they should provide an emergency number that you can talk to.

Also, heat up her food, get some canned kitten food, kitten milk replacer, goat milk, try some raw egg yolk (the egg white must be cooked), mackerel, tuna, salmon, sardines (no bones), unseasoned chicken or turkey, bonito flakes, fortiflora.

Try putting the food in various different locations, try having a bowl a little higher off the floor.

Best of luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luna10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These issues have been going on all week since her extractions on Wednesday. The vet knows all about it. She just got injected with the new antibiotic yesterday and started the buprenex also yesterday. After she takes the onsior she does absolutely great for a few hours almost back to her normal self. Once it wears off she's back to feeling yucky. The vet seems to think the lack of appetite was due to the pain of infection and also the nausea. And I know buprenex doesn't help with nausea. Are these typical issues when they get an infection after an extraction?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luna10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They didn't have an xray machine to check and make sure they got all the roots and whatnot. I keep reading that that happens sometimes they don't
Hi - can you call/email your vet and talk with them about this? The lethargy, lack of appetite, these are concerning issues.
If it's after hours, call the number you have for the vet, they should provide an emergency number that you can talk to.

Also, heat up her food, get some canned kitten food, kitten milk replacer, goat milk, try some raw egg yolk (the egg white must be cooked), mackerel, tuna, salmon, sardines (no bones), unseasoned chicken or turkey, bonito flakes, fortiflora.

Try putting the food in various different locations, try having a bowl a little higher off the floor.

Best of luck!!
Vet didn't have an x-ray machine so there were no x-rays to ensure they got all the roots and what not. They just said that they thoroughly check each tooth when they're done. I read it's kind of common for them to miss some Roots? Could that be an issue?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im sure if she is hurting then she will not want to eat. I would keep small sized kibble out for her, and fresh wet food at all times right now. Especially if she had some favorites before? give her the choice on what she can eat without pain. Also if she had any fav foods, like Rotisserie chicken, my guys cant pass that up. Maybe even try feeding her using a spoon, with wet food, sometimes my guys like that..lol.

It can be very dangerous for a cat not to eat. If she isnt eating well by Monday i would take her back in. Maybe to a vet that does have a xray machine?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
orange&white orange&white are you, or a member you know, familiar with these things?
Sorry, not with tooth extractions. Tangent is on an antibiotic for an eye infection right now (from a cat scratch), which caused him to go off his food.

Assuming the antibiotic is a good match for the bacteria, the infection should be wiped out in 2-3 days, in which case we would hope that Luna10's kitty will feel better and get her appetite back.

I syringe-fed Tangent from last Monday through Thursday as I had to wait 4 days to get the "first available" appointment with my vet. By the time we got in to see the vet, Tangent was slightly dehydrated from not drinking and feeling generally nauseated from the untreated infection.

For appetite, I asked for a B-12 shot and sub-Q fluids. They mixed some steroid in with the B-12 (without telling me about the steroid until they already had the needle in his skin), but the vitamins, steroids and fluids did help with his appetite in less than 24 hours, and then the antibiotics had time to start working on the infection.

I also read that the particular antibiotic they prescribed for Tangent may cause nausea and anorexia as side effects. Sometimes you're just stuck between a rock and a hard place with treatment.

Hope your kitty feels better soon. :alright: