Frustrating Kitten Behavior - Normal Vs. Violent?

Midnight_Echo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel like I’m at the end of my rope ~ feeling very frustrated at the moment.

I have a 12 year old cat (Midnight)...wasn’t planning on adopting another cat (kitten) but the cards didn’t exactly fall that way. I recently started a new job ~ right next door to the office is an SPCA. Well, long story short...I went in ~ and ended up with a 12 week old (now 16 weeks old) kitten. Decided to name her Echo.

Among the ‘highlights’ of sorts - typical kitten issues (roundworms and ear mites). Her main issue is that her 3rd eye lid is prominent ~ SPCA has had her on several eye meds but nothing has made a difference. My vet is doing one final round of antibiotics (different combination). They aren’t sure if Echo is blind or if it’s a congenital eye issue. My guess, congenital eye issue (when I first got her home, the eye was black - now I can see lens part peeking thru the black). Past few weeks, been going in for eye rechecks only. Well, last night the vet wanted to do routine shots (I think it was distemper). Anyways, Echo was very good in the office...took her home. Early this morning (was getting ready for work), I went to get Echo out of her room (...I have the cats separated) and she was ok. Was in the kitchen and all of a sudden, Echo took a leap out of my arms and ran across the kitchen counter....she looked freaked out. I attempted to pick her up (gave her a bit to calm down). Anyways, went to pick her up a second time and Echo lost it. Big time. She looked at me all wide eyed and bit me - hard. Only way to describe it, seemed like she was fighting for her life. She bit be so hard/often (I have seven distinct puncture wounds)...I’m at a loss for words. Finally got her to the spare bathroom. She acted like she wanted attention, but when I tried to pet her, she’d back away looking scared. That look on her face...I just wanted to cry (and I still do). Attempted to befriend her before going to work, by giving her wet food. It seemed to work...she let me pet her. I called my vet, asking for advice. They weren’t of much help (..they gave me ideas but nothing that seemed to be the missing piece of the puzzle). I’m wondering if this is change of attitude is due to the shots or an allergic reaction of some kind? The fact that I’ve had her for a month with no problems until today makes me wonder. Is this from the shots or normal rambunctious kitten behavior?
When I came home from work tonight, went upstairs to check on Echo. She seemed to be back to her normal self. A few moments later, she got ‘spooked’ (by what I don’t know), almost jumped over the railing. Bought her downstairs in the hard carrier (like I do everyday when I get home from work ~ can fix dinner; clean; care for elderly parent; feed Midnight; etc) so she’s around people (and other cat). I attempted to take her out, and while at first was successful - she shortly got the crazed wide eyed look and could feel her tense up. Right before tending up, she started smelling/sniffing the air very quickly (but she’s done this in the past too, what suddenly changed?). Ended up putting her back in carrier for my safety as well as Midnight’s.

Why is Echo acting this way? What can I do to help her? Or is this typical, normal kitten behavior?

Both cats are aware of the others existence. I don’t have them ‘mingle’ too closely ~ they both sniff each other’s face but that’s about it. Both of the cats are wanted and loved (spoiled too). Feeling very sad after being attacked earlier today. I love both cats and would be heart broken if I had to give one up.

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok there is a lot going on here. I am in a rush but wanted to give you a first answer, I will answer more lately.
First question: are you planning on introducing them? It would not be fair to them to live permanenty isolated. If you introduce them they can become friends (granted you take things slow) and they can both have you: two cuddle bugs at night. And both would have an entire house to explore
Second thing is that your kitten does not seem at all agressive he is afraid! He got spooked and when he tried to run away you went after him. I know you wanted to reassure him but in a cat's mind that's not what happened. I was afraid because of something that happened while in your arms and them you went after him that trighhed his prey instinct. You have to remember that cats are also prey so when something big goes after them they do fear for them lives. It's not that he does not love you, it's just that this is a reflex way of thinking that he can't shake of (because he is a cat). Next time he gets scared let him hide and call him, bribe him with food don't go after him but let him come to you. What happenned probably shook him and you need to work on rebuilding the trust: by letting him come to you, by slow blinks, by food and by play. Don't pick him up he will get scared again. And don't give up on him you both deserve hapiness together. And don't be afraid of her she will NOT attack you if you don't go after her. She got scared that's all

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Midnight_Echo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply... I do appreciate it greatly. It’s been a while since I’ve had a kitten. Still got lots to learn.

I am in the process of introducing the cats slowly ~ a work in progress... I don’t expect perfection over night (fights/tiffs will happen from time to time, no one is perfect 24/7). The times I’ve had them both out and supervised...they would play with their balls (batting them back and forth to each other) and assorted mice. Quite a few times Midnight would groom Echo and Echo would return the favor. Midnight seems to be accepting of Echo (from what I can see) but when Echo gets too wild, Midnight has an escape route (usually jumps on the counter).
I wish I knew what originally spooked her so I don’t do it again :(

Wasn’t even thinking prey instinct...but it definitely does make sense. But part of me keeps thinking why get spooked now? Then again, it’s a cat..

I still remember when I first saw her in the shelter. Something about her that drew me in... May (shelter’s original name for her) didn’t care about the other visitors but got so excited when she saw me. Very happy and vocal. First night I got her home and settled for bed... preferred the floor to the blanket.
Since that first night, she does sleep on her back while on the blanket - exposing her stomach. I’ve been working on slow blinks with her, not much luck (..it’s another work in progress).

Definitely don’t want her confined to the bathroom 24/7 (but she’s so tiny, want her safe while no one is home) ~ I do want her integrated to the rest of the house. At least for now, she’ll be in the bathroom while I’m at work. Free range for play as well as food/water/treats. I let her out for a bit when I get home to burn off some energy.