Frustrated

catwithmycoffee

Six Cats Crazy Cat Parents
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, here is the issue. We have a 10 year old Maine Coon (Sam) who will poop outside of the litterbox. This is something that he's done ever since bringing him home 3 years ago (he's a rescue, and suspect this is why his previous owner dumped him).

Yes, we do/have done the following:

-5 litterboxes for 3 cats

-litterboxes scooped twice daily

-litterboxes in various locations

-non scented scoopable clay litter used; Sam won't go near it if it is scented. Use baking soda to help control any odors.

-gets plenty of attention and play time

-strictly dry food diet; any wet food gives him runny stool, drinks plenty of water

-no treats, no human food

-gets along with the other two cats

-no stress; we have no children and very few visitors enter our home

An odd behaviour I have observed with Sam is that he will use one litterbox to pee then move immediately on to another to poop. He seems to strain when pooping even though his stool is indeed quite soft yet formed. (Vet can't find anything wrong.)  Sometimes as I covertly observe he will do both then come out of the cat room walking a bit stiff legged with his tail at an odd (for him) position. Kind of kinked up at the base. When he does this it's an indication that he's not quite done; he'll walk around briefly then squat to poop some more. When I catch him doing this I will gently scold then shoo him back to the cat room where Sam immediately will get into one of the litterboxes to finish his business. Hubby and I both praise Sam when he does use the litterbox to try some positive reinforcement. Yet the problem continues.

There is no one particular spot he poops in every time. It's where ever he happens to be standing at that moment. And Hubby gets upset when it happens to be in the vicinity of his computer desk in the living room.

We don't know what else to do. Our home is clean. The cats are all well taken care of. Regarding the litter, we've tried the "fancy stuff" (non-clay) with no luck. Financially we're in no position to have any extensive testing done by the vet; nothing shows up on examination, xrays, or blood/urine screenings. He's a sweet and laid-back boy, and Hubby doesn't want to take him to the shelter but is getting even more frustrated with this behaviour than I am (which makes me frustrated with my spouse...)

Any ideas??

fluffypokey98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would suggest buying on amazon or borrowing at library book called "the cat whisperer" by animal behaviorist mieshelle nagelschneider. she covers this issue in her book. maybe that will help you.

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To me, this sounds like constipation. I've never dealt with cat constipation before (I'm a new cat owner) but through my "studies", I've heard feeding pumpkin helps with constipation. I'm also thinking perhaps a change in diet would help... although I'm not sure to what since you say his stool is still soft - although constipation doesn't necessarily mean hard poop.

I'm sorry I'm of such little help! Fingers crossed someone more knowledgable will answer. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwithmycoffee

Young Cat
Purraise

To me, this sounds like constipation. I've never dealt with cat constipation before (I'm a new cat owner) but through my "studies", I've heard feeding pumpkin helps with constipation. I'm also thinking perhaps a change in diet would help... although I'm not sure to what since you say his stool is still soft - although constipation doesn't necessarily mean hard poop.

I'm sorry I'm of such little help! Fingers crossed someone more knowledgable will answer. 
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I've already tried the pumpkin and all it does is make his loose stool worse. :(

Done the diet change as well. That also compounds the problem. Sam seems to do best on a "middle of the road" (a.k.a. not cheap but not expensive) dry food with a higher fiber content.

Last edited:

catwithmycoffee

Young Cat
Purraise
I would suggest buying on amazon or borrowing at library book called "the cat whisperer" by animal behaviorist mieshelle nagelschneider. she covers this issue in her book. maybe that will help you.
I'll have to check our local library. Thanks for the suggestion.

fluffypokey98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like someone suggested, if issue is constipation you can add a teaspoon of canned plain pumpkin to cat's wet food or stir benefiber into cats water. I use fiber for my cats since they are elderly. It helps prevent sticky poops and constipation.

catwithmycoffee

Young Cat
Purraise
Like someone suggested, if issue is constipation you can add a teaspoon of canned plain pumpkin to cat's wet food or stir benefiber into cats water. I use fiber for my cats since they are elderly. It helps prevent sticky poops and constipation.
Pumpkin is a no-go for Sam. It turns his stool into liquid Velcro. Haven't tried BeneFiber; will have to look into that.

playerdark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I give Miralax when my cats need it 1/8 or 1/4 tablespoon measure. You have to add extra water, I usually crush hardfood and mix it with water like a soup, they like that.

Also you may want to try another vet. An experience I made with doctors in my life is that they all have failures, they don't know it all and they dont all keep up with latest development. Sometimes Wikipedia knows more than my doc, so maybe try another one, perhaps an internist. Maybe your cat has tumor or hemorrhoid (if cats can have that).

catwithmycoffee

Young Cat
Purraise

I give Miralax when my cats need it 1/8 or 1/4 tablespoon measure. You have to add extra water, I usually crush hardfood and mix it with water like a soup, they like that.

Also you may want to try another vet. An experience I made with doctors in my life is that they all have failures, they don't know it all and they dont all keep up with latest development. Sometimes Wikipedia knows more than my doc, so maybe try another one, perhaps an internist. Maybe your cat has tumor or hemorrhoid (if cats can have that).
I am looking into both the Miralax as well as the Benefiber. Haven't decided yet which to go with. A couple of sites I checked warned against using Miralax on cats with renal issues, but as far as I know Sam has none.

He had an accident in the bedroom yesterday morning and Hubby is furious. All 3 cats are now banned from that part of the house. Hubby wants me to rehome Sam but doesn't want me to take him to the shelter. I'm seriously considering getting a second part-time job so I can pay for further tests.

A curious notation I came across on one website when researching the Miralax: Sometimes a cat will appear to have diarrhoea but in fact has constipation, and the runny stool is simply what can squeeze around the solid dry stool. THIS! This describes Sam almost to a t! His stool is runny yet he strains when pooping. I am going to ask the vet about this when I can finally get him in. (BTW, I've changed vets twice already. Perhaps 3rd time will be the charm...)

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are several different things that could be causing this. Because of your cat's age and since he has been doing this for 3 years (as far as you know - possibly longer?) I would surmise he has some type of medical condition as opposed to it being dietary related.

I was a nurse for 22 years and the first thing that popped into my head was 'megacolon'.  Megacolon is the result of prolonged/untreated constipation. How best to describe it .... it is a weakening of the smooth muscle in the lower (exiting portion) of the colon. The colon, over time, becomes stretched and loose because the muscle is unable to 'go back into shape'. So, when your cat eats food, it digests normally and goes through the upper intestines. When it gets to the 'final destination' it collects in the rectal vault. Because the muscle is weakened, when the cat poops, he is only able to pass a portion of the stool. He still feels 'full' and that is why you are seeing the straining afterward. After the initial bowl movement, he gets up and walks away from the box. Because he has changed position by standing and walking, the position of his intestines has also moved... resulting in the movement or placement of residual stool in the rectum. 

Think of it (the intestine) like a balloon - after it has been over-stretched the elasticity is no longer there.The intestine will develop a 'pocket'  where the stool collects, making it difficult to pass.

It's very possible your vet missed seeing it if, at the time of the x-ray, the rectal vault was empty (due to your cat having a bowel movement prior to the exam) or due to the position of the cat during the x-ray. It could also be that the vet was inexperienced at reading the x-ray. I would suggest taking it (the x-ray) to a different vet to have it evaluated.Please know that I'm not negatively critiquing your vet or attempting to discredit him/her but, as we all know, not all vets/doctors are as experienced or thorough as others. A second (or 3rd) opinion should be an option.

It could have developed because of previous constipation issues due to diet or something he ingested which caused a small blockage and the constant build-up of stool and pressure on the muscle from straining stretched the muscle. It could also be a result of a congenitally narrowed pelvis, or a previously injured pelvis causing nerve damage - possibly from being hit by a car. You got him when he was 7 yrs old and might not/probably don't know his complete history. There could be some internal paralysis as well. Since your cat has been doing this for 3 years (that you know of), I would presume he has had this issue for quite some time.

It is very common for loose stool to 'ooze' around a blockage. Have you ever noticed him having any loose or soft, unformed stools? 

Also, have you been able to (gently!) palpate his abdomen? Does it feel unusually firm or appear distended (the distention could fluctuate before and after a bowel movement)? Does he show any signs of pain or discomfort when you touch his lower belly? Do you notice any 'bulging' of his anus (this is caused from a build-up of stool in his rectum). And does he have an issues with vomiting - after eating or even when trying to poop?

Also, beware of giving your cat a stool softener or laxative designated for humans without a veterinary prescription! The wrong medication or dosage could be dangerous! A laxative could also cause him more pain and complications because he will have the need to defecate and won't be able to do so effectively because of the weakened muscle. These, as well as added fiber, could also initiate loose stools and/or diarrhea which would add unwarranted stress for him. He'll have cramping etc. At this point, providing megacolon IS the diagnosis, he might need an enema to clear the rectal vault and even surgery to repair it (like a 'tummy-tuck' for the intestine).

Treatment would depend upon the severity and the cause.

I am NOT in any way attempting to diagnose. That would be impossible for me to do. I am only giving you my opinion based on the information you provided and my experience/knowledge. Before doing anything else, I would contact your vet as soon as possible... or a completely different vet, and have him re-examined. Make some phone calls and explain your situation. Be prepared to take a stool sample with you so it can be evaluated for parasites, blood, mucous, etc.  

I understand that finances are an issue, however, your cat is presenting a serious problem and he needs to be properly treated. Diagnosing megacolon could require a neurological exam to rule out nerve damage. A complete blood count, chemistry panel and urinalysis are performed to rule out other health problems. Usually a thyroid test is recommended as well. Abdominal radiographs (x-rays) are evaluated to identify predisposing factors such as a narrowing of the pelvis or foreign bodies within the intestine, which you have already had done, but I would advise having a repeat x-ray done to assure nothing was missed. A barium series may be recommended, as well as a colonoscopy, which would require anesthesia. These are all expensive tests and procedures. Is it possible to find a vet who offers financing or some type of payment plan? You might want to consider contacting a verterinary school and check if they would do these tests at a lower cost. I'm not positive, but I believe schools can only charge for 'materials' and not for 'labor' or office visits. Also, because they are a school, they would be under the direction of a well experienced instructor in veterinary medicine and a thorough and extensive exam would be performed. I would think they might even keep him overnight or for a few days to observe his behavior and 'pooping routine'. Regardless, they would most likely be your best option for an accurate diagnosis.

Re-homing him or putting him in a shelter is not going to resolve his issue. 

I hope this has helped. We will keep all of you in our prayers.

catwithmycoffee

Young Cat
Purraise

There are several different things that could be causing this. Because of your cat's age and since he has been doing this for 3 years (as far as you know - possibly longer?) I would surmise he has some type of medical condition as opposed to it being dietary related.

I was a nurse for 22 years and the first thing that popped into my head was 'megacolon'.  Megacolon is the result of prolonged/untreated constipation. How best to describe it .... it is a weakening of the smooth muscle in the lower (exiting portion) of the colon. The colon, over time, becomes stretched and loose because the muscle is unable to 'go back into shape'. So, when your cat eats food, it digests normally and goes through the upper intestines. When it gets to the 'final destination' it collects in the rectal vault. Because the muscle is weakened, when the cat poops, he is only able to pass a portion of the stool. He still feels 'full' and that is why you are seeing the straining afterward. After the initial bowl movement, he gets up and walks away from the box. Because he has changed position by standing and walking, the position of his intestines has also moved... resulting in the movement or placement of residual stool in the rectum. 

Think of it (the intestine) like a balloon - after it has been over-stretched the elasticity is no longer there.The intestine will develop a 'pocket'  where the stool collects, making it difficult to pass.

It's very possible your vet missed seeing it if, at the time of the x-ray, the rectal vault was empty (due to your cat having a bowel movement prior to the exam) or due to the position of the cat during the x-ray. It could also be that the vet was inexperienced at reading the x-ray. I would suggest taking it (the x-ray) to a different vet to have it evaluated.Please know that I'm not negatively critiquing your vet or attempting to discredit him/her but, as we all know, not all vets/doctors are as experienced or thorough as others. A second (or 3rd) opinion should be an option.

It could have developed because of previous constipation issues due to diet or something he ingested which caused a small blockage and the constant build-up of stool and pressure on the muscle from straining stretched the muscle. It could also be a result of a congenitally narrowed pelvis, or a previously injured pelvis causing nerve damage - possibly from being hit by a car. You got him when he was 7 yrs old and might not/probably don't know his complete history. There could be some internal paralysis as well. Since your cat has been doing this for 3 years (that you know of), I would presume he has had this issue for quite some time.

It is very common for loose stool to 'ooze' around a blockage. Have you ever noticed him having any loose or soft, unformed stools? 

Also, have you been able to (gently!) palpate his abdomen? Does it feel unusually firm or appear distended (the distention could fluctuate before and after a bowel movement)? Does he show any signs of pain or discomfort when you touch his lower belly? Do you notice any 'bulging' of his anus (this is caused from a build-up of stool in his rectum). And does he have an issues with vomiting - after eating or even when trying to poop?

Also, beware of giving your cat a stool softener or laxative designated for humans without a veterinary prescription! The wrong medication or dosage could be dangerous! A laxative could also cause him more pain and complications because he will have the need to defecate and won't be able to do so effectively because of the weakened muscle. These, as well as added fiber, could also initiate loose stools and/or diarrhea which would add unwarranted stress for him. He'll have cramping etc. At this point, providing megacolon IS the diagnosis, he might need an enema to clear the rectal vault and even surgery to repair it (like a 'tummy-tuck' for the intestine).

Treatment would depend upon the severity and the cause.

I am NOT in any way attempting to diagnose. That would be impossible for me to do. I am only giving you my opinion based on the information you provided and my experience/knowledge. Before doing anything else, I would contact your vet as soon as possible... or a completely different vet, and have him re-examined. Make some phone calls and explain your situation. Be prepared to take a stool sample with you so it can be evaluated for parasites, blood, mucous, etc.  

I understand that finances are an issue, however, your cat is presenting a serious problem and he needs to be properly treated. Diagnosing megacolon could require a neurological exam to rule out nerve damage. A complete blood count, chemistry panel and urinalysis are performed to rule out other health problems. Usually a thyroid test is recommended as well. Abdominal radiographs (x-rays) are evaluated to identify predisposing factors such as a narrowing of the pelvis or foreign bodies within the intestine, which you have already had done, but I would advise having a repeat x-ray done to assure nothing was missed. A barium series may be recommended, as well as a colonoscopy, which would require anesthesia. These are all expensive tests and procedures. Is it possible to find a vet who offers financing or some type of payment plan? You might want to consider contacting a verterinary school and check if they would do these tests at a lower cost. I'm not positive, but I believe schools can only charge for 'materials' and not for 'labor' or office visits. Also, because they are a school, they would be under the direction of a well experienced instructor in veterinary medicine and a thorough and extensive exam would be performed. I would think they might even keep him overnight or for a few days to observe his behavior and 'pooping routine'. Regardless, they would most likely be your best option for an accurate diagnosis.

Re-homing him or putting him in a shelter is not going to resolve his issue. 

I hope this has helped. We will keep all of you in our prayers.
Hubby and I strongly suspect that Sam's pooping issues is why he was dumped/abandoned in the first place so, no, we don't have any history prior to our getting him. My spouse IS attached to our big boy and was venting out of frustration. He does understand that a new home/shelter isn't going to solve the problem.

Sam's stool is ALWAYS soft to the extent of having little form yet not quite liquid. He's lost a bit of weight and has belly flab so it's not easy to feel his lower abdomen. I've not noticed any bulging or discomfort on his part when touching his belly at any time. Vomits only when he has the occasional hairball. Sam does not like having his rear end messed with; I have to keep his "potty patch" trimmed or he gets poop in his fur, and it takes two people to tackle the job (one to hold, one to do the deed). I wonder if this may somehow be related.

I used to work in a vet clinic so, yes, I know the drill. Yes I know not to be giving medications and such meant for humans to my pets without first consulting a vet. And our next vet will be the 3rd one for our cats.

The nearest vet school is over a 3 hour drive away and simply not an option; Sam stresses out too much as it is in his carrier for a ride of less than half an hour (calming agents such as Feliway don't work on him).