Frustrated: Kitten playing with litter & food

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lola (now about 14 weeks...) is playing with her food and (clean) litter. This is so incredibly frustrating for me. We have tried changing the bowl the food is in, but cannot really change the box (or even try to) because one box alone costs $20 as we need a sifting litter box.

She will take her food and litter and dump it on the floor, bit by bit. I would be willing to try another bowl if we haven't already tried 3 different ones now. We try to have the food completely seperate from the water -- not in a "double diner" for instance. One because Lola likes to play with her food and a lot of it will land in water and two because like this it is easier to clean the water bowl. The set up we have tried are 2 different bowls for the food, putting the food on a plate, and doing a double diner. We immediately ruled out the double diner for reasons stated above. So now we use both sides of it for water.

How do I get her to stop this? It's so frustrating. I have issues with cleanliness (I even clean the litter scoop after each use
) and this very time consuming -- cleaning the litter and food up bit by bit.

Our other kitten (Madeline) doesn't do this.

Lola is in excellent health and saw the vet less than a week ago. Plays often, eats fine, everything is in check. Madeline and Lola are best buddies and there haven't been an environment change to speak of.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She'll grow out of it eventually. Just invest in a nice Dustbuster for now. Someday you'll be telling stories about how silly Lola was when she was a kitten.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I already do talk about how silly Lola is -- believe me! It just gets EVERYWHERE quickly. The location she mostly does it at is right by my desk... talk about a traffic hazard.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can sit the sifting trays inside a larger storage box to help contain the mess.

I've never had kittens playing with food or litter, hopefully she'll outgrow it

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's at that age where everything is a toy. The food, the water, the string, the shadow, EVERYTHING!!
She's exploring and learning what's a toy and what isn't. She will eventually outgrow it, but for now it is very frustrating!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you talking about dry food? Try putting it on a plate instead of a bowl. She is just being a kitten, and I'm sure she'll grow out of it - but there really isn't much to do about it right now but clean up after her. When Ming Loy was at the really messy stage, I bought a square of remnant carpet to put under the litter box she used the most. This way the mess went onto that. I'd just move the litter box and go shake the remnant out outside - it was easier than vacuuming all the time LOL.

Hang in there!!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea, we've tried a plate as well -- forgot to mention that. Or maybe we tried it after posting this.

She's a cute little bugger, just does it a lot at night when I am real tired. I'll get over it. Just thought someone might have an idea.

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

She's at that age where everything is a toy. The food, the water, the string, the shadow, EVERYTHING!!
She's exploring and learning what's a toy and what isn't. She will eventually outgrow it, but for now it is very frustrating!
i am at this stage with my boy bast, i give him treat, he plays with it, i give him his dry food, he plays with it, i give him water, he dips his paws in to try and play with it, it's annoying and i tell him to stop it but he does it regardless and makes a mess

for example with his dry food, he will get out one of them and pick them up with his paw and it will get strewn around the room till he decides to eat it, sometimes he will eat normally from his bowl but he really does love to play with his food a lot.

he is currently a year and a half, i just hope he grows out of it, it's only recently he has started this behaviour.

justjayde

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others, kitty will most likely grow out of it

My kitty (Kis) used to play with his litter. The most funny yet maddening? He would sit OUTSIDE his box? and use his paw to scoop/shovel out ALL of his litter. Yup! The first time I went in and saw the litter piled BESIDE the box I believe I said something along the lines of "what the he.....ck?" So I decided when I heard him in there again to go peek.

I walked into his room to see his curious little kitty self doing aforementioned scooping of the litter. I am a neat freak too but SEEING his concentration? and his face when he was "Caught"? He was clearly SO PROUD of what he had done I had to laugh and tell him it was ok.

He did this for about a month. I would just scoop it up and put it back (his litter pan is in a big crate so it's pretty clean) and the next day he would do it again.

He is now a year old - and has totally out grown the litter game. Thankfully
and as messy as it was he was just so darn proud of himself that I couldn't get mad.

Hang in there it will most likely not last long

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My childhood cat was a messy litter box user. We had a box with a top that didn't cover the box, but had a lip that curved in. It helped so much. I haven't seen one in a long time, but I'm sure you could find it somewhere.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
my 5 monther is doing the same. She'd spill the bowl over, play with the kibbles that does not touch the mat, then eat them. If its still on the mat, she won't touch it, lol. I am to the point where I give up putting it back in the bowl or vaccuuming it up!

crystalkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would it help you if you containEd the mess somewhat?

Like putting the litterbox inside of a larger Rubbermade tote kind of box? So that if she DOES still scoop it out, it will be contained, and you can just pour it back in since it's clean?

You could also put her food in a larger container? If it's a very large one, she would have to jump inside to eat, and probably couldn't scoop the food out. If it's just slightly larger, she'd have to do it in two stages (which might deter her, or if she enjoys a challenge it COULD make the behavior worse, in which case I'd suggest a different size/ shape box.

Feeding her from a treat- ball is probably not what you'd want to do, but it could interrupt what she's doing now.

I guess a self-timing dish set to tiny portions might help, but if it were me I'd probably not invest in one just to find out it doesn't.

I'd seek to contain the mess in larger boxes, if that will satisfy your feelings on it? Also she may decide it's less fun if she cant bat the food around on the floor afterwards?

I hope you get it sorted out.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Turtle does it too--at night--when her nocturnal clock alarm goes off. I've resorted to putting her dry food on a large try. She likes to hook the food with her claw and fling it in the air!! I think she does it because she's bored. I try to play with her before I go to bed and wear her out a little bit. Other than that I'm just playing the waiting game until she out grows it.