Frustrated, Cat With Kidney Disease, Starting To Eat And Drink, But Has Been Sick

Applecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try getting your cat a water pet fountain that's BPA free. This helps quite a bit. I would get mine from Bed Bath and Beyond. Also, give Fancy Feast Gravy Chicken a try. As Furrballsmom suggested maybe some baby food. This worked on my dog, but I haven't tried it on my cat she is very picky. I would give the cat some probiotics this helps too. I would not overdo it with forcing her to eat the Hills KD diet food.. Her last time here should be enjoyable for her. But, as Furrballsmom suggested the different brands with low phosphorus. I'm not a vet though but have been through this headache with my dog not cat.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just temeber what I said about investigating and asking questions.Making sure that something else isn’t going on that was missed because the focus has been on her kidneys. Hope, hope, hope!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

burrgandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn’t think about something other than the kidneys. Yes! Hope, Hope, Hope!!!!

Applecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, I read somewhere that the water fountain should be placed in a different location than the food. But, I think it might work either way. It's just the food gets into the water sometimes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

burrgandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone ,
My cat passed away early Wednesday morning. I'm shattered. I couldn't emotionally bare taking her to be put down , yet she was so weak . She still sipped water. I slept on the office chair, and have a leaky faucet, and thought I heard something , but with outside noises, and other noises , I'm not sure ? I was afraid to check if she was breathing before going to my bed. She was my Best Friend. She has been there for me , when no one else has been. I'm lost, empty and hurting . I hope I did right by her. I HATE CKD! !!!!! IF I get another cat, I don't want to see this happen to them. Sash deserved Better than this! I need to know what breeds are susceptible to this , how to prevent this all together ! ! Right Now, I feel like I've failed my cat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so so sorry to hear about this!!

RIP sweetheart!

My heart is wrapped around you! You did not fail her, she knows you didn't.

I don't believe it is breed specific, however lots of clean filtered water fresh daily in a safe ceramic or metal bowl or a safe pet fountain (plastic is not desirable), and canned food due to it's higher moisture content, are good ways to start, along with regular vet visits.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey. Please stop. She would not want you thinking you failed. You didn’t you did not choose what happened. Sometimes we just can’t do any more. You know you love her and she knows that too. We both know how hard you struggled with this. It seems we all worry about what we could have done but you really did all you could. I’m so sorry. You are not alone. Post any time and I’ll keep checking back. :grouphug2:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss :hugs:. With kidney disease, it is inevitable, but that doesn't ease the pain, not one little bit :frown:. Believe me, as I'm sure I already told you, I've been through it (kidney disease) three times.

As far as breeds that are healthier than others, if you google that, you will get a variety of different answers, but as you start looking at those answers, you will start to see some similarities. British Shorthairs keep showing up on various lists (and I can attest that my granddaughter has TWO of those who are now at least 15 and going strong!), Russian Blues on on three lists that I saw, however, I know a few people here on TCS who have them and seems to me they have had health issues so I'm just not sure about that one. Bombays made every list I saw, if you like black cats (I'm partial to those :wink:). But there are no guarantees. Any cat or person can get sick, no matter how much love and attention you give them.

As to your feelings of failing Sash, you didn't do anything wrong. Bad things just happen sometimes.

Again,my sincere sympathies. Run free at the bridge beautiful angel :rbheart: