Frustrated and very worried about Charlies Stomatitis

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made a Tech appointment for Charlie to get a Depo Medrol injection on May 5th for Stomatitis flareup. Last Saturday I took Charlie in because I noticed red patches develop on the roof of his mouth and still no real improvement. The vet said that the ulcer was consistent with Stomatitis and it appeared to be clearing up because it was not inflamed. Said to monitor for a week. Monday was no better. I called and was prescribed 3 tablets of Oncior that may have had some small effect. No real improvement. Today, same thing. Hand feed, he eats a little and then begins exaggerated chewing thing, followed by pawing at his mouth. Vet closed until tomorrow. They left me a message that I can bring him in for a "follow up". I am so concerned that I am going to go back there tomorrow and be given no solution once again. He can not have another Depo shot for a month after the first one. The condition is not improving. He is drinking water but needs to eat way more. How can I help him? :confused2::bawling::bawling2::bawling::bawling2::bawling::bawling2:

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes adding an antibiotic helps. I had a cat that fought stomatitis all her life. The cocktail or the depo and covenia seems to calm things down quickly. I recall when the depo alone stopped working. Ultimately it’s your vet’s decision.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he is drinking water, try mixing pate style canned food with water to make a very loose, thin slurry. If he doesn't lap that, it can be drawn into a syringe or medicine dropper and fed that way. That gives him (and you) a bit of breathing space while you get this resolved.

And please let us know how he is doing. Lighting a candle for you BOTH!
00LitCandle.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he is drinking water, try mixing pate style canned food with water to make a very loose, thin slurry. If he doesn't lap that, it can be drawn into a syringe or medicine dropper and fed that way. That gives him (and you) a bit of breathing space while you get this resolved.

View attachment 335516
He is drinking water. This is so crazy and that is because he actually gained 2 oz sinc

View attachment 335516
Thank you! Please continue to keep us in your thoughts, please. He is drinking water. This is crazy and that is because he gained 2 oz since Saturday. I've been doing the thin slurry. Historically and surprisingly he has done better with dry than wet food when he has flare ups. I was very surprised to be advised to try my best to get him to go with dry in case wet was irritating the ulcer. I will not deny him wet food, however. When we returned home, he got a good portion of dry hand fed and seemed in a good mood. He is getting Kitten Milk supplement also. And is also getting vitamin wait gainer liquid arriving in the mail today. This boy will get his nourishment one way or another and I will always fight for him and be his advocate. :redheartpump: :redheartpump: :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes adding an antibiotic helps. I had a cat that fought stomatitis all her life. The cocktail or the depo and covenia seems to calm things down quickly. I recall when the depo alone stopped working. Ultimately it’s your vet’s decision.
Yikes! I hope the Depo didn't stop working. I will discus
I hope the Depo hasn't stopped. I will discuss that possibility when we return on Saturday. As well as antibiotic. I will get Charlie anything he needs. :redheartpump: :redheartpump: :redheartpump: