Frothing/drooling At New Food?

Lunarmewn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Luci didn’t this weird behavior yesterday that’s concerning.
The day before, for dinner I gave her some raw Chicken tenderloins and a new freeze dried raw food. The new food was vital essentials freeze dried entree in chicken. She’s had just tenderloins before and never any issues. I decided to give her this new food too with this meal to 1. Introduce it slowly and 2. Add more nutrients and such to make the raw Chicken a complete meal.
She ate it fine.
The next day, she didn’t want breakfast, which is really odd for a food hog like her. I tried 3 of her favorite foods to no avail. Since she seemed to like the freeze dried stuff I decided to try that, I let her smell the package before I mixed it up to see if she would perk up. She started shaking her head and moving her tongue as if there was something bad tasting or stuck in her mouth. She started drooling and it was a bit frothy. What could this mean?

Here are the ingredients for the new food
Ground Chicken with Bone, Chicken Heart, Chicken Liver, Herring Oil (Natural Source of Vitamin D), Mixed Tocopherols (Natural Antioxidant), D-Alpha Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E).

She’s eating today no problem, and I pitched the new food. But the behavior was so bizarre..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lunarmewn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m not sure why this was moved to the diet section when this is a behavioral issue..

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think this is a behaviour issue. This sounds like an allergy or underlying health issue. Are there are any ingredients in this new food that are novel (never given to your cat before)? I would definitely avoid giving this food and see if the issue goes away.

Lunarmewn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think this is a behaviour issue. This sounds like an allergy or underlying health issue. Are there are any ingredients in this new food that are novel (never given to your cat before)? I would definitely avoid giving this food and see if the issue goes away.
The only thing I’m unsure of is the tocopherol, everything else has been in a previous food.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I’m unsure of is the tocopherol, everything else has been in a previous food.
Tocopherals are pretty common preservatives in pet food but it’s possible that he’s reacting to it. Well, at least hopefully it stops now that you’ve removed the food. :dunno:

Lunarmewn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tocopherals are pretty common preservatives in pet food but it’s possible that he’s reacting to it. Well, at least hopefully it stops now that you’ve removed the food. :dunno:
I’ve pitched the food, it was just odd that she started acting like something was in her mouth whenever she just smelled it. But she seems back to normal now so no more worrying I suppose.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it have been the Herring Oil? I can't add any type of oil to my cats' food, they can smell it and won't eat it, even if it's only 1/8 Tsp of oil.

Lunarmewn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could it have been the Herring Oil? I can't add any type of oil to my cats' food, they can smell it and won't eat it, even if it's only 1/8 Tsp of oil.
Hmm it could be. I also recently had a scare with our other cat and another food. She can’t have anything with rosemary extract or she starts having seizures..
I swear why can’t food companies ensure their fooods are safe?

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone experienced with administering oral liquid medication to cats (like Clavamox) will recognize all of what you described! It's not an allergy; kitty took a bite into something very displeasing. Maybe she took a bite of herring oil that wasn't mixed in enough? Bleck!

She started shaking her head
and moving her tongue as if there was something bad tasting or stuck in her mouth.
She started drooling
and it was a bit frothy.
One of my tabbies had to take Clavamox and he always ended up looking like Santa Claus with his foamy white saliva beard. Poor baby! I don't know why pet meds have to taste like bubblegum. Maybe because it's hard to find turkey flavors in pharma? :crazy: