Frontline vs Advantage vs Another product?

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a very weird experience with Frontline recently.  I applied it to my cats and within 3 weeks we had a total flea infestation.  I bought it at a pet store and it wasn't expired.  I am not giving up on Frontline completely because it could have been a fluke.  But I am back to Advantage 2 at least for now.  Just applied it and all is well again.

What do you all use?  And is there a new one out there that is better?

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only use Revolution. Expensive, but worth it, IMO. If you buy it in online in Canada (like we do), no prescription is needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting.  Is it stronger so needs a prescription?  It does require one here, I just looked.  It doesn't actually look any more expensive here than Advantage

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not like OTC stuff for my cats. I feel they are coarse & full of goodness knows what. We like buying Revolution online in Canada because no script is needed & you can buy 12 pipettes whereas here you can only buy 6. Revolution works so well in our experience. Usually a single dose does the job.

Look at CanadaVet.com & see what you think.

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Interesting.  Is it stronger so needs a prescription?  It does require one here, I just looked.  It doesn't actually look any more expensive here than Advantage
Revolution requires prescription because it actually penetrates the skin barrier and enters cat's blood stream therefore it also acts as a dewormer and heartworm preventative.

themomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had the same experience with Frontline Plus I bought at Walmart for my three 5 month old kittens and an 8 year old outdoor cat.  I actually had been applying it to the outdoor cat for several months before I noticed a few fleas on the kittens who stay indoors. Within a few weeks, I am in a constant battle with these nasty fleas.  I flea comb them and drown the fleas in soapy water then I vacuum, the floor and sofa.  Several hours later more flea combing and vacuuming.  I just can't seem to get rid of them.

I broke down and bought Capstar pills because you can't reapply the topical for another month.  I gave it to them this morning, all 4 cats and after half an hour I flea combed them and there were still live fleas.  I was discouraged but an hour later, all I combed out were dead fleas and just an hour ago combed them and no fleas!

They claim that Capstar can safely be used with the topical.  It only lasts for 24 hours but you can give them a pill every 24 hours.  My reasoning is to break up the life cycle of the fleas. And vacuum like crazy.

Just to see my babies having a flea free day is wonderful! 

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our next dose will be "Advocate".

Read an article where the makers of Advocate claimed it was better than Frontline with test results to prove it.

Apparently they dosed 30 animals in actual flea infested homes with Advocate.
And another 30 with Frontline.

Within 2 months, the Advocate infestations were significantly reduced when compared to the Frontline.

Of course, Frontline disagreed because the tests were not "controlled".

IMO: This sort of test means more to me than a controlled in-house lab test.   Frontline, Advantage, etc...The ALL claim great results in 30 minutes to 24hrs.  A result that anybody with a flea problem, knows to be false.

Then, Advocate comes along and claims results in 2 months, with some real world tests to prove it?  At least that's believable, because, again...If you've ever had a flea problem, you know how long it takes to get rid of them.