Frontline For Cats?

jimisbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The box says that Frontline should NOT be used for cats. But reading the iingredients says its the same stuff they use for cats!! My vet says its OK to use it for cats as long as you use the proper dosage. I buy the large dog dose which is the same price as the smallest dose and use just .5 cc as is stated for a dog the weight of my cat. It has worked for 5 years. And the large dog dose will last for 2 years!!!

BUT....I have two (2) questions

1) Why does the box say not to use on cats but the Vet says its OK?

2) Why does my cat hate is so much? Also hates the "real Cat", expensive stuff. She jumps up and runs and wants out as soon as I press the plunger. Does it hurt them when it goes on their back or are they just reacting the same as if it was distilled water?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1)there are people who may put improper doseage, possibly giving too much, so they want to avoid that. Plus they want to make money, people using the biggest dog one and spitting it would cause them to lose money.

2)I don't have any experience with flea products but maybe it just felt weird? Can you see anything like a mark or something?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geez, that is kind of an extreme step to save a few bucks. Personally, I'd just by some of the much cheaper frontline alternatives -- just check Walmart or Target -- and avoid any risk of a dose error. You make a dose error you could put your cat in liver failure. That is why they have different packaging for dogs/cats/kittens and different weight categories.

They all hate it because it feels weird. You dribble water from a straw on the back of the neck you will get the exact same reaction I imagine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jimisbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I kind of thought it was just that they are feeling something that they dont feel every day.

Dosage is not a problem as I use a 1cc syringe without the needle, half full. Why pay $45 a dose instead of $2 a dose for the exact same stuff. $45 a month is over $500 a year!!!!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is probably fine if you are super careful. But there are frontline alternatives that cost way less. And it is not like you can necessarily use Frontline forever anyway. There are Frontline-resistant ticks for which the other medications work better.

Anyway, does sound like a big scam. Interesting information.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Geez, that is kind of an extreme step to save a few bucks. Personally, I'd just by some of the much cheaper frontline alternatives -- just check Walmart or Target -- and avoid any risk of a dose error. You make a dose error you could put your cat in liver failure. That is why they have different packaging for dogs/cats/kittens and different weight categories.

They all hate it because it feels weird. You dribble water from a straw on the back of the neck you will get the exact same reaction I imagine.
You want to be really careful with the alternative to name brands when it comes to flea medicine. They are very dangerous because the formula is not the same and flea medications for pets are not regulated the same way human medications are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jimisbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats good to know. At least with Frontline, its a known and trusted name. I always wondered if it was good for animals long term but the Vet says OK. We dont have a Tick problem, but here on the coast its the fleas in the sandy soil.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do NOT EVER use cheap alternatives you find at grocery stores or Walmart. There is a reason those are so cheap. Hartz has killed enough pets that there are websites dedicated to it. Stick to the name brands, from the vets, that back their products. Never ever buy off label brands from the stores.

Also yes, you can dose down Frontline and Revolution and use the XL dog dose for cats if you use the proper dosages. Every vet I have worked for and every shelter does this to save cost. It IS the same ingredients, but there is a different way for determining the exact amount when using a dog dose for cats, which involves drawing it up accurately with a syringe for the safest method.

Hey therr0789

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is Frontline Plus for cats. Frontline is not a good product here as the fleas are immune to the ingredients. We stopped carrying it at the vet I work at.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Revolution is a much better product personally.