From lover to panther

bryanpark1215

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I admittedly have let my hygiene slip while being quarantined. I live alone and rarely go out. My problem is when I do shower, my cat goes from a lover to a full on panther, hissing and snarling at me. I just now put on some clean shorts, same scenario. I hate it that she is stressing herself out. I think I know what's going on, she has basically lost scent recognition of me. If I am right, what do i do about it? Would pheromone spray help? Is it safe to spray on me? Any other suggestions?

Dart77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Note: some words here are Australian spelling!

Hi, I just joined today as well - sorry I can't offer any advice as I have never heard of this behaviour; it does seem rather extreme and peculiar. It's as if she thinks you have completely changed. It's probably just a semi-fear reaction to an unfamiliar change. It could also be the soap / skin cleanser being used, does not harmonise with your body smell (which should still be there in some amount after washing).

But to just identify you from a recognizable smell only, seems weird. Most cats I have had often wait outside the shower door or try to come in if I am in there and don't exhibit any different behaviour afterwards. Surely yours would know a loving owner from more than just smell? Visual appearance, face expressions, voice characteristics, body moves and mannerisms as well as their sense of your whole being.

But cats are very intelligent and complicated, finicky and often prone to various psychoses (sp?) so I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised. I just joined this forum as my 8+ year cat (M) of 4.5 years owning, tonight exhibited a strange behaviour I have never seen.

No need to reply as I didn't really help much.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are using any new soaps/detergents, she may not like the smell of them. Otherwise, take a blanket or towel that she routinely lays/sits on and rub your arms and legs with it after showering. It should transfer some of her scent onto you and make you smell more like her. You could also consider taking a blanket or something else you've used before showering and rub your arms and legs with that afterward.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think FeebysOwner FeebysOwner is definitely on to something here, about the change in soap and putting your cat's scent back on you. One of my cat's has to put his scent on me the minute I'm out of the shower. He must rub his scent back on me. It's like a ritual to him his favourite smell is foot stank he loves those feets. :lol: