From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Shaman is scared to come eat. Can't blame her on that. I would be too. Cooper is sleeping (didn't faze him) and Shadow is still off hiding somewhere. haha

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Pit Bulls returned. I was outside and Shaman was acting weird. She looked at me and the driveway and back at me again. I'm clueless at times so I was wondering why is she suddenly scared of me. She then darted to a tree and climbed to her favorite high spot. I then saw Shadow take off through the other yard. Just then I almost got knocked down by a pit bull being chased by another pit bull (the same ones as the night before) Neither of them really seemed dangerous, they looked more like they were playing and chasing each other. Cooper, as usual, just stood there watching.
I dont have a good feeling about this...:petcat::confused:🥺

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats are totally fine. The dogs were just playing. If they meant any harm they would have tore into Cooper who was just sitting there. I found the owner and they haven't been raised to be mean but I did make a request for her to keep the dogs on her property. Not just because of children and the cats but the dogs could run out into the street and get hit and killed. Remember if these cats co exist with raccoons, wolves, coyotes, wild turkey, groundhogs and all other manner of wildlife include mountain lion yep, as well as (now bald eagles in the area) and all then they can survive the pit bulls. And they have survived pit bulls I'm sure for over 2 years. People tend to have a misconception about pit bulls. Most are mean only if raised to be mean. Remember Spanky and our Gang? That was a pit bull. You can train a beagle to be mean if you want or you can train a beagle to be gentle. I grew up with a beagle. Most gentle dog ever because my parents trained her to be. My cousin's acquaintance trained his to be a guard dog so that beagle was mean. My only issue, again is that the dogs come and eat the cat food and scare the cats. But these dogs, as I noticed never even bothered me and the one had every opportunity to attack.

Remember your advice to me: Be positive.

There's a lot of misconception about a lot of wildlife because we were brought up to believe this and that. I remember hearing the bs about squirrels having rabies. Learned differently while volunteering at the wildlife rescue center. The first gaze of raccoons in my back yard were ill but the new gaze is ok. I walked right past one the other night without knowing (it was dark) and the raccoon did not jump me or attack. Yes 3 inches away. I didn't notice til he ran off like he saw a ghostly raccoon. I've walked past the groundhogs and even walked right past one of the wolves on our local campus. Of I forgot we also have foxes.

Watch NEFL eagle cam. You'll see eagles fishing out of the water with an alligator sleeping inches away. Animals tend to co exist unless they feel threatened or hungry. Something we humans need to take a lesson from. Ok I"m 10 minutes late feeding the cats and Cooper is giving the cam dirty looks so I'd better get going.

And too much playing this morning. Little cold at the moment though so I can't be out there monitoring. They're on their own. Food is brought in after 30 minutes so whoever misses out on breakfast because of playing, fighting etc will have to stand up for their own food bowl at lunch. Shaman has done this already in the past week so she'll do it again. I have to keep myself well so these cats can eat.

And one of these day the cats will let me finish watching Castle Rock. Usually I'm too tired to watch or read anything at night when everyone is bedded down

Last edited:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats are totally fine. The dogs were just playing. If they meant any harm they would have tore into Cooper who was just sitting there. I found the owner and they haven't been raised to be mean but I did make a request for her to keep the dogs on her property. Not just because of children and the cats but the dogs could run out into the street and get hit and killed. Remember if these cats co exist with raccoons, wolves, coyotes, wild turkey, groundhogs and all other manner of wildlife include mountain lion yep, as well as (now bald eagles in the area) and all then they can survive the pit bulls. And they have survived pit bulls I'm sure for over 2 years. People tend to have a misconception about pit bulls. Most are mean only if raised to be mean. Remember Spanky and our Gang? That was a pit bull. You can train a beagle to be mean if you want or you can train a beagle to be gentle. I grew up with a beagle. Most gentle dog ever because my parents trained her to be. My cousin's acquaintance trained his to be a guard dog so that beagle was mean. My only issue, again is that the dogs come and eat the cat food and scare the cats. But these dogs, as I noticed never even bothered me and the one had every opportunity to attack.

Remember your advice to me: Be positive.

There's a lot of misconception about a lot of wildlife because we were brought up to believe this and that. I remember hearing the bs about squirrels having rabies. Learned differently while volunteering at the wildlife rescue center. The first gaze of raccoons in my back yard were ill but the new gaze is ok. I walked right past one the other night without knowing (it was dark) and the raccoon did not jump me or attack. Yes 3 inches away. I didn't notice til he ran off like he saw a ghostly raccoon. I've walked past the groundhogs and even walked right past one of the wolves on our local campus. Of I forgot we also have foxes.

Watch NEFL eagle cam. You'll see eagles fishing out of the water with an alligator sleeping inches away. Animals tend to co exist unless they feel threatened or hungry. Something we humans need to take a lesson from. Ok I"m 10 minutes late feeding the cats and Cooper is giving the cam dirty looks so I'd better get going.

And too much playing this morning. Little cold at the moment though so I can't be out there monitoring. They're on their own. Food is brought in after 30 minutes so whoever misses out on breakfast because of playing, fighting etc will have to stand up for their own food bowl at lunch. Shaman has done this already in the past week so she'll do it again. I have to keep myself well so these cats can eat.

And one of these day the cats will let me finish watching Castle Rock. Usually I'm too tired to watch or read anything at night when everyone is bedded down
I was concerned in general of any large dogs...not a particular type dog..And I agree people make dogs mean....I just wasnt sure if someone had made these dogs mean..thats all...Yrs ago when I was younger...My ex husband had what he called red bones...Coon dogs..And those dogs killed and ate my cats...That were outside at the time...And they weren't pit bulls...They were coon dogs...So Im was just concerned in large dogs around cats in general...I reckon cause of my personal experience...but I love all animals including DOGS...People make dogs MEAN..I totally AGREE...

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago when Pepper was Shaman's age she was outside with me which is rare as she was usually indoors. A huge doberman cam up into the yard, approaching me snarling and hissing. Before I could think Pepper arched her back and went after the dog chasing him up the street. That Doberman was raised to be mean and was mean as he tried to attack me but Pepper (who was calico and as skittish normally as Shaman is) went after him to protect me. That dog ran so fast. But I suppose Pepper ran faster. I don't know what happened to him although I heard him yelp (not loudly and someone came and took him back to the owner with a citation (here in the 80s they were issued citations/warnings in my village for letting their dogs run loose). Pepper came back un harmed and acting quite triumphant.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago when Pepper was Shaman's age she was outside with me which is rare as she was usually indoors. A huge doberman cam up into the yard, approaching me snarling and hissing. Before I could think Pepper arched her back and went after the dog chasing him up the street. That Doberman was raised to be mean and was mean as he tried to attack me but Pepper (who was calico and as skittish normally as Shaman is) went after him to protect me. That dog ran so fast. But I suppose Pepper ran faster. I don't know what happened to him although I heard him yelp (not loudly and someone came and took him back to the owner with a citation (here in the 80s they were issued citations/warnings in my village for letting their dogs run loose). Pepper came back un harmed and acting quite triumphant.
This was in the 80s when my incident happened...And back then..People tied their dogs to a tree with a long chain...Not that I agreed..A dog fence is better..but back then the dogs would break loose n attack the CATS...Which back then I had a few OUT SIDE cats..(n one totally indoor cat...which of course never was attacked...)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepper was born in 1983. This was also in the 80s. In my area you faced fines if you tied a dog and left outside. Pepper was 100% indoor cat unless I was with her. So I don't know.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
This Mom thing gets old. I am still trying to get a pallet on wheels (that lock). That way I can just move cat tent city out of the way when Mom comes downstairs. Yes she notices the tents, no matter what. She'll notice a bottle cap on the bricks. Poor cats when I go out to move the tents because she's coming downstairs. I just announce Mom alert.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are fighting again. Hate to say it but they're on their own this meal as well. I'm too sick to go outside and play this continued game of security guard. And someone told me that they may be doing this to get my attention and I may be the one being played.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
they may be doing this to get my attention
Not totally out of the realm of possibility although they likely know they can sit, look at the door and yell to get your attention without so much drama (although Cooper is a somewhat unknown quantity here, for sure!!)...., Plus I'm thinking it's things like reactions to other animals, their scents and the crazy weather as well...whichever the situation, I really hope you get to feeling better soon!!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well granted the weather here is very weird. 20 degrees at breakfast, 70 at lunch and 40 at supper. I remember before Treasure's passing a lot of times he and Cooper would fight if I was with them but the minute I came inside and closed the door watching them from the cam they'd get along.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My mom, no, she's MY mom... lol, bless their little hearts, they certainly know how to wrap us around their paws

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed this morning that when I was even 5 minutes late with breakfast Cooper was giving the cam dirty looks. They know what it is because I talk to them through it sometimes. But I still am not up to playing security guard every meal. If I did that with these 3 cats I'd be outside for an hour each meal. Not bad in summer but winter gets a bit much. They pretty much have to be on their own at this point. I've noticed Shaman standing up for herself if she gets hungry enough, contrary to popular opinion that they would starve if they are scared enough.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
In case you're replying, yes. "Mom he's eating out of my plate." "Well you weren't eating it." "I was too eating it. Go eat your own food" I heard this a lot growing up with my 3 cousins (brothers to each other) lol

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
This is good to hear, I'm glad!
I read that cats aren't dogs and would starve but then again I couldn't be outside in pouring down rain chasing after Shaman. So I had to let it play itself out. She came to eat one day and when Cooper came to join her she hissed and swatted at him. But they crack me up and I'm on verge of giving up trying to figure out the enemies one minute, friends the next and enemies the next minute again. I think I counted these two were enemies 5 times and friends 4 times in an 8 hour period. Once in the middle of sharing a meal together.

Status
Not open for further replies.