From chronic diarrhea to constipation HELP

Drusilla&Finn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I could write a 100 page essay on what’s been happening with my cats but I will try to keep it brief. We’ve been working with 2 different vets and researching like crazy. I have 2 littermates both 1 year old in March. January to April 7 chronic diarrhea issues. They have had 3 rounds of antibiotics and a round of dewormer. Did a regular fecal no parasites, then a PCR fecal showing nothing no parasites, viruses, bacteria, etc. Every time they started antibiotics or dewormer symptoms went away immediately. After stopping it would come back less than a week later. I’m finally coming to the conclusion that it could have been the probiotics helping the whole time not the antibiotics. It could also be that their guts were so irritated and inflamed, the antibiotics helped them heal, and now they are at a stable place not sure. We have kept on the probiotics since the last round of antibiotics. They are currently on Hills prescription digestive health ID wet only. Previous to diarrhea issues we’ve had them since 12 weeks old on royal canin kitten dry and wet food only one meal with no issues. Throughout the diarrhea both had zero other symptoms they ate, drank, played, etc just like normal kittens. We tried adding some of the hills prescription ID dry food and that was the only time our boy cat got really ill. Vomiting half digested food 6 hours after eating, lethargic, etc vet fixed him up and we did plain chicken and rice diet for a week then back to just wet food. It’s been about a month since diarrhea has happened without antibiotic intervention. They have been on the Hills for about 2-3 months.
Now that they had been stable but not super great like no diarrhea but I could tell they weren’t 100% great boy still dealing with some nausea and the constipation for her. He also started getting dandruff on the Hills. Second vet has suggested trying out three steps 1. novel protein to rule out allergies 2. Hydrolyzed protein 3. IBD blood testing. So we are extremely slowly transitioning food. We are trying Stella and Chewy dinner morsels in rabbit protein. I chose this food bc I heard that fillers & thickeners can cause irritation especially with IBD, so novel protein and we have to rehydrate the food so no gums or thickeners. I’m terrified of diarrhea coming back so we are going really slow. We started the transition bc her constipation I’m worried the extra fiber in the ID food is too much now that their stomachs are back to normal.
Now we are having the opposite issue the girl cat is struggling more. She’s super constipated dry poops, not really struggling in the box but hard small poop less frequently. Two times she has scooted on the carpet after going. The past two days poop has stuck to her so it’s been outside the box. The constipation had started before the transition to new food and I know their stomachs are adjusting but I’m just worried!!
Do you think the digestive food is just too much fiber? Has anyone’s cat dealt with constipation in hills ID? Is there anyway to help her as we try to target the cause. I feel so bad I bet she’s uncomfortable and I just want to make her more comfortable during the food change. I’m really scared to hurry up the food change, we are going really slow like 2 months until they are fully on the new food. I’m scared to add any pumpkin or supplements. I really want to ease their switch but I’m so so scared of the diarrhea coming back. I already feel bad they don’t feel great but poop problems are very traumatic for my girl cat. With the diarrhea it either hurts or scares her really bad so she starts in the box and the zoomies all around the house will penny sized diarrhea pieces follow her path all around the house. Like I’m on crawling on my hands and knees with a flashlight trying to find and clean up the pieces it’s horrific for all of us. I haven’t caught her running with the hard constipation poops but they are sticking to her and not making it in the box. Fortunately for me it’s easier to clean up but it means she’s obviously uncomfortable.
I just need some comfort and any ideas from cat parents who have dealt with diarrhea to constipation. I want to stop the constipation but I’m afraid it will lead to diarrhea instead UGH

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has ibd. Past few days lost her appetite and hiding. Took her to the vet to give her fluids. He thinks she had inflamation. I bought advita probiotic online because today she was constipated and bought a couple packs of fortiflora til it comes

Since your cat has diaheria she needs canned food for moisture.. Otherwise, she can be dehydrated from fluid loss from diaheria. Add lots of water bowls and I plan on setting up a water fountain

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One thing you need to know about Stella and Chewy is that they have a lot of calcium in their food, and too much calcium can cause some cats to be constipated. One of my cats eats it and I have to add Miralax to his food to help him out. I also add in a little extra muscle meat to try to compensate for the high calcium level they use, but it's a fine line because I still want the food to be balanced. And it doesn't really seem to help. Nothing does except the Miralax. BUT in your case you don't want to do that because of the diarrhea issue that it might bring on. Will she still eat the S & C if you add a little more water to it? You can start there, because hydration is good to help with constipation. Or you could go with a different brand, like Northwest Naturals. Or Primal. I'm pretty sure they have less calcium in theirs.

So your boy is doing ok with the new food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Drusilla&Finn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One thing you need to know about Stella and Chewy is that they have a lot of calcium in their food, and too much calcium can cause some cats to be constipated. One of my cats eats it and I have to add Miralax to his food to help him out. I also add in a little extra muscle meat to try to compensate for the high calcium level they use, but it's a fine line because I still want the food to be balanced. And it doesn't really seem to help. Nothing does except the Miralax. BUT in your case you don't want to do that because of the diarrhea issue that it might bring on. Will she still eat the S & C if you add a little more water to it? You can start there, because hydration is good to help with constipation. Or you could go with a different brand, like Northwest Naturals. Or Primal. I'm pretty sure they have less calcium in theirs.

So your boy is doing ok with the new food?
Thanks for your reply! I had no clue about the food having too much calcium! I’m definitely going to look at other options. Currently each cat is only getting 2 nuggets per meal mixed in with their og food. You totally hit the nail on the head with the water thing! I always add extra water to whatever food they are on but my boy is a vomiter (eats too fast + maybe stomach too but mostly just chugging food). I know drinking too much water all at once can cause cats to throw up so I reduced the amount of extra water. However since I saw your reply I tested adding more water to her last two meals (she loves it soupy thank god). At 11 am her typical potty time she went with ease! Like absolutely textbook perfect poop lol

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For your boy, since he eats too fast, try using a slow feed bowl with him. I have one of those cats too, and he uses a raised, tilted bowl that also has little rounded off "spikes" inside it that he has to eat around which really slow him down a LOT. And he also eats rehydrated freeze dried foods. Here's what it looks like

1683824110282.png

Bloss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could be the worming tablet causing constipation.