Frizzy Fur On Himalayan Mix Fur Baby

siouxzi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I'm not sure if this has been covered and apologize if it has. I haven't found any solutions to keep her frizz under control, other than continued grooming, which I do daily. Sometimes twice a day. She eats high quality canned food as well as nibbles on a bit of dry food. Plenty of fresh water. She's 13. I rescued her from shelter at 10. She still has very frizzy hair. We had an episode last year during winter where her fur was a complete static cling mess. It felt as if each grooming session that we had, I was making it worse with the frizzy static cling. Bathing is out of the question. We've been working towards grooming 3 times a day with bribing with treats. Hehe. She became a matted mess no matter what I did last year. We cannot go through shaving again as it almost killed her. Is there any name of an oil, spray, or cloth I can use to help her fur become not so frizzy and dry. I believe it's her age at this point. I use the greyhound comb along with a brush that really helps with getting a bit of the undercoat out. I can press a button on the brush so I can take fur out & repeat. The furminator is useless on her fur and she wont let me near her with trimmers. I'm a barber so I'm very familiar with how to use trimmers & clippers, just not on cats. She moves around too much for scissors. Clearly I've done my research and have bought every grooming tool possible. I can also give you a list of the foods shes eating if that helps. Maybe some at the pet store are not so good. I dont know. Winter is coming and wood stove will be going soon. I even had humidifiers going last winter. She cannot, nor can I, deal with her fur getting matted again regardless of me trying everything I can think of possible. There are no cat groomers where I live, unfortunately, that understands her special needs. Please help with any and all advice and products. Maybe special oils on her fur? Like coconut or olive oil? A customer who raises & shows persians recommend Pantene repair & protect spray. They swear by it however neither of us like the smell. I have sprayed the comb then comb it in. I'm Not real comfortable with it even though they use it on all their show cat's. Well, Thank you very much for reading and help. I can add pix once I figure it out. Hehe. Thank you again.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Using oil on the coat will only increase the problem in my opinion. If matting is happening a cleaner coat is needed, if you can't shampoo her you could try a dry shampoo. I am not a big fan of them, but then I show my Persians so they are accustomed to bathing. A photo would help us to see the actual problem - especially since I have never seen a Persian with frizzy coat. Also, you didn't say what you have been using to groom her-brush or comb? A brush will not work for a Persian as it will not get all the way to the skin. Any leave in product that you use will eventually build up in the coat causing more problems and require shampooing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siouxzi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you posiepurrs. I was thinking there might be the possibility of build up of the oils if used too much. If I did use any it would be on my hands first, then pet her good, then comb in. I know some oils are good for cats skin & she does groom herself.
I was hoping it may help but I also don't want to create any problems.

Matting isn't happening yet. I'm just noticing her fur growing back in & it's very frizzy still. I realize now it's just her fur. (She was shaved springtime)
I will try to send a photo. As the title to my post states, she's a Himalayan mix, not a persian. Also, I did state what I've been using to groom her. Both, a comb & brush. See above for details.

I figured the leave in might buildup. The lady who uses it also bathes her cats so maybe that's why it works for hers. Plus, like you, she has Persians, not Himalayans.
I'm hoping that someone with a Himalayan might also understand the struggle. Had I gotten her as a kitten, she'd be used to bathing. However, I rescued her @ 10 or 11yrs old. ;)

I appreciate your help. I've never had a long haired kitty where there was so much maintenance involved.
It's a good thing I'm a barber & hair stylist. LoL.
Since the heat isn't on yet & her hair is naturally frizzy I'm very worried.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Sorry I missed the tools you are using. I read your post on my phone and the old eyes aren't what they used to be! Her coat doesn't't look frizzy to me, jump a tad clumpy. That is caused by a dirty coat so the dry shampoo may help. Barring that, you could also try combing corn starch baby powder through the coat. The Himalayan breed is considered a Persian in the Cat Fanciers Association that I show in. With fall upon us (at least here) combing is more important since the cats are shedding summer coat and growing the winter coat in at the same time. That is when I battle mats more than any other time. I just want to tell you that your baby is gorgeous!

siouxzi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aw. Thank you. She's Zee Queen. ;)
I'm going to try to get a closer brighter pic. You know, they run once that cam comes out. LoL. Maybe she is dirty. I don't let her outside & I'm OCD with vacuuming especially since I'm noticing the little fur tufts now that fall is coming. Which has led to my panic because since she's been shaved I've been on her daily with grooming.
I don't know how she could be dirty but I guess like humans she just gets dirty too. It's hard because I got her at such an older age. I don't know how she was taken care of before I rescued her. I was told she was 3 or 4. My vet was like, um, no, she's at least 10. So she's 13 now. Guessing. She's missing most of her teeth except fangs & a few in back. She likes to nibble/bite my fingers because she's in a bit of pain. So I help her out by a bit of massage. I genuinely rescued her & want to give her the best care possible. I feel like if her fur got wet it would completely clump together. Plus it may freak her out entirety. She's come a long long way over the past two years. I don't want to ruin her trust now.
Sorry for rambling. I'm going to try the corn starch. I also have the brush with soft brush on one side & the other side is like a vent brush. I've been using that since she was shaved to "make" her get used to daily brushing. She fights me when trying to get to belly. I've been slowly forcing it & rewarding with treats. I've been doing that with the greyhound comb. The other brush has really fine teeth a lot wider than the furminator to actually get through her coat. That's how most of her shedding fur comes out. But the comb definitely does the finishing touch. This after many attempts of me scooting around the living room because she wont sit still for long. Her fur totally frizzes out after our groom session. She's one massive puff ball. Looks pretty but then I try to calm it down with my hands. I'm so fearful of her matting & want to cover ever possibility to help her not.
I so appreciate your time and help with my pretty little princess.

siouxzi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I forgot to mention that the pic above is hair growing in from a few months after shave. Below is a pic prior to shave. Her being silly. With her were fangs. Hehehe.
The second is her shaved. Poor little thing. She absolutely cannot go thru that again. I did see these scissors where there's a guard on them. The cut doesn't look pretty. But comfort is what she needs not pretty. ;)

Also here's a brighter one of the first pic.