Friskys Wet Food

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried spooky the chunky beef she seems to love it I don't know if I should give her the whole can and dry food mixed in and how would you store the wet food mixed do I refrigerate it or is it ok as is if I put it in a baggie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Its mixed in with the dry food would it be ok I'm new at this wetfood stuff

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can cover the remaining wet food with plastic, baggie, etc. and store in refrigerator. Should be fine. I only feed Feeby 1/3 of a canned for her dinner, so a can is in my fridge for a total of 3 days overall. Never noticed any issue with it. I don't leave wet food out for more than 4 hours, but others say they leave it out twice that long.

I don't see how mixing wet and dry would make a difference. If Spooky doesn't like it straight out of the fridge (doesn't bother Feeby at all), you can warm it up just a tad by either adding a small amount of hot water to it, or leaving it set out for 1/2 hour before feeding.

I am not a fan of microwaving it - too many issues with it getting too hot and/or dried out. But, if you try it that way, I wouldn't heat it longer than about 5 seconds just to take the chill off of it and then stir it well.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pet stores sell lids for cans of food. A supermarket may also have pet food can lids. You can also just put the open can into a baggie or wrap some plastic wrap around the can and refrigerate. Some people like to transfer what's left in the can into a food storage container and then refrigerate because of concerns of BPA in the can lining.

I wouldn't mix canned food with dry food especially if the mixture isn't eaten with half an hour or so. Bacteria from the cat saliva can quickly grow in mixture. A piece or two on top of canned food as an enticement is ok since the cat will likely pick off those first to eat. Feed canned and dry food in separate bowls if you're unsure if the cat will eat both quickly. Bowls should be emptied and washed at the end of the day.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would only give half of a 5.5 oz can at a time. Half in the morning, half at dinner.

divyanka2111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would recommend against Friskies wet food. I believe it contains byproducts and other questionable ingredients. This brand is considered to be like fast food/junk food. Personally, I only want to feed my cat premium foods/high quality foods. Perhaps try some better options.

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So what do you do with left overs? I feed my 3 cats about 1/6 of a can each three times a day. They don't always eat all of it and I end up throwing it away because they won't eat it later. They don't even like leftovers left in the can untouched by any one.
Are they just spoiled, does the taste change, or are they just not hungry? I have given it to them both cold out of the fridge and warmed for about 4 seconds. I always test it before I give it to them. I have thrown out so much that I feel foolish.
Anybody else have those problems with your kitties? Thanks
I think I should have started a new thread.

Last edited:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat would never eat the can from the fridge - if I need to refrigerate, I transfer the food to the glass jar or other glass container. In my case it cannot even be plastic container, but I know most cats would accept it.
I have two ways of reheating it, I simply add a bit of warm water if the cat accepts it, or I place the jar in the hotish water (around 150degrees) to warm up.

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the ideas. I will try all of them. I will transfer the leftovers in the can to a glass container and warm it in warm water or add a little warm water. See how they like it best. Thanks. Will keep you posted.

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would recommend against Friskies wet food. I believe it contains byproducts and other questionable ingredients. This brand is considered to be like fast food/junk food. Personally, I only want to feed my cat premium foods/high quality foods. Perhaps try some better options.
If you are on a budget Fancy Feast Classics are low in carbs but high in protein. They are much better than Friskies.

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not necessarily on a budget, but I am somewhat frugal. I am of that generation.:dunno: Anyway changing brands seem to be a bigger problem. They sniff a new wet brand and look at me like 'you expect me to eat that?' And then they start whining. Especially Maggie. Lucky Kitty ate the Whole Earth Farms and licked the juice from Tiki but Maggie said no dice. Give me my extra gravy Friskies. I have read that we are to take a week or so to introduce cats to new cat foods. I haven't taken that much time yet. Maybe I need to give them more time.

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not necessarily on a budget, but I am somewhat frugal. I am of that generation.:dunno: Anyway changing brands seem to be a bigger problem. They sniff a new wet brand and look at me like 'you expect me to eat that?' And then they start whining. Especially Maggie. Lucky Kitty ate the Whole Earth Farms and licked the juice from Tiki but Maggie said no dice. Give me my extra gravy Friskies. I have read that we are to take a week or so to introduce cats to new cat foods. I haven't taken that much time yet. Maybe I need to give them more time.
I put in FF because most cats like it and its generally healthy though its thought to be a not good food.

No it might take longer. I have a sick senor cats who needs a diet change she had dry her entire life and well it leads to some issues when they are aging. So she's slow to change but I'm keeping it up because I want her to be around. Its been over a month now.

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahhh Galaxy Girl, I am so sorry about your Sr kitty. Gives me a lump in my throat. I have raised both my resident kitties on both wet and dry and then I read the same thing you mentioned that dry causes age issues so I began feeding more and more wet food. I had always believed Friskies to be a healthy food for them. Now they are so into the Friskies, they don't want to change. I think I can train Lucky Kitty to other foods because she has only been here about 6 months and is still willing to try other wet foods. At any rate, I am not giving up. Will take more time if necessary. One thing about my residents, they like the pate. Luckily the Whole Earth Farms is a pate. I will continue to decrease Friskies and increase WEF's. Maybe I can get them to change. I will purchase a FF to see if that can help in the transition. What are you changing your Sr to?

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
She likes the wet food better but i don't know if I'm gonna keep giving her dry food anymore or should I keep giving it to her

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahhh Galaxy Girl, I am so sorry about your Sr kitty. Gives me a lump in my throat. I have raised both my resident kitties on both wet and dry and then I read the same thing you mentioned that dry causes age issues so I began feeding more and more wet food. I had always believed Friskies to be a healthy food for them. Now they are so into the Friskies, they don't want to change. I think I can train Lucky Kitty to other foods because she has only been here about 6 months and is still willing to try other wet foods. At any rate, I am not giving up. Will take more time if necessary. One thing about my residents, they like the pate. Luckily the Whole Earth Farms is a pate. I will continue to decrease Friskies and increase WEF's. Maybe I can get them to change. I will purchase a FF to see if that can help in the transition. What are you changing your Sr to?
Right now she’s liking the soulistics from petco. I’ve tried 15 other brands. XD

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I havent tried that
Or half in the morning, half for lunch and another half for dinner. Remember kittens need a LOT. ;) I know you're working on that. A cat with a full tummy is a calm cat...or a sort of calm cat.
Shes getting fat I feed her twice once in the morning one big scoop and a medium scoop at night sometimes

lovemall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My local market doesn't carry a big variety of cat food but plan to go to PetSmart on Tuesday. Plan buying some FF Classic. I am not familiar with soulistics.
I have a sick senor cats who needs a diet change
Hope she is getting better.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies pate is fine. It's mostly meat and that's what cats need. Many "better" brands have a lot of veggies and stuff, so really they're no better. If your cats like Friskies and do well on it there's no reason to change.

The gravy kinds do have more starch so they're best kept as a treat. But you know, I have a 19-year-old cat and she likes the gravy kinds so that's what she gets. Life is too short to make the cat miserable for no reason.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She' getting fat because she's headed for a growth spurt. One night she'll go to sleep pudgy and the next morning she'll wake up lean and longer than the day before.

Dogs and human children do this. Some teenage boys have been known to grow 8 inches in a summer. It makes them clumsy. A growth spurt may leave kit a little clumsy too. But it's a good thing.

Unless you haven't gotten her spayed, then pudgy may be something other than fat. Sorry I haven't kept up with your threads.