Friskies canned food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rick and Raz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got a small Pyrex with lid. Toaster/air fryer oven. I'll let you know.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, if I understand this, you're going to heat the cat food. I'll be interested as to whether it changes the texture or taste, per said cat :)

Rick and Raz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, it's canned pate. I miss it up in his dish anyways.
And, really.. 10 minutes in the or 5 days of sick cat. The funny thing. I just bought a carpet cleaner. I hope nobody. I mean the poor thing is looking at you to help. AND YOU CAN NOT. Yep. Cooking that Pate

Rick and Raz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just hit me. If you are worried about metal fragments in your cat food.. through it in the microwave. Take it out of the can.. put on paper plate. Zap for a 30 seconds. Metal fragments do not do well in the microwave.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat and two others got sick off Friskies in 2019. All three vets said too much salt which was exasperating illnesses already present. Wondering if it's too much salt in that batch, but still within regulatory amounts.

I moved Lily to Stella and Chewys afterwards. Nobel's been on Purina Urinary for a long time. He wouldn't touch the Stella and Chewys.

Rick and Raz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hate to admit this. But, I tasted temptations cat treats. They are super salty. That's why animals like it. It's like a salt lick for dears.

Rick and Raz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well forth day of heating his food. Works great. And, yes the Pyrex is lead free. I turn PowerXL on max. 450° something like that. Preheat. 10-12 minutes. Inside temp is 200°.
Do the baby food test. Before serving. The rest zip bag.
I'm not a doctor nor a vet.
But, I am lazy..
So far.. everything I have tasted is extremely salty.. and yes I taste his food now. Well, if it tastes off to me, I'm not going to feed it to him.
I hope nobody goes through what I did. He is back to being a little sh#t.
Thank All of you. For giving me a shoulder to cry on. For real. Thank You

Rick and Raz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Added note. Before this happened. I bought a carpet cleaner from the Goodwill. For $10.00 that thing paid for it's self.
Poor guy had it coming out of both ends.
If your critter won't eat. Just maybe it's the food. My cat is spoiled and I won't have it any other way.

Rick and Raz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know what kind of words I can use on this format.
Two years ago, my apartment building burned out.
Now, have you ever watched "are you being served"
Out of fear and freaking out carried the little sh#t in his carrier out.
Fireman asked what's in here.
I say my 20 pound pussy.
I hope not to offend anyone. But that's what happened. Shared my oxygen with the little one. So when I say thank You I mean it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rick and Raz Rick and Raz thank you for tasting the Friskies and the Temptations. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay back I had cats who liked Friskies and I never much thought about it. We didn't do treats. Even now with current cat we don't do treats like Temptations, she got smaller ones and still gained weight. She gets 5 pieces of a different flavor dry food as treats. She's happy. But I'm surprised to find out why they are so crazy about Friskies and Temptations. I didn't taste the cat food because I've been vegetarian too long to know whether meat based food tasted okay or not.

Salt. I swear, I will never become sufficiently suspicious to figure stuff out.

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have been feeding my cats Friskies Shreds variety pack for the last few months and ever since then they seem to have more problems throwing up and pooping where they aren't supposed to. I decided to see if there was any information online about that specific wet food and I seem to have found a possible solution to my issue. All the cans I currently have are of lot # 1159 and expire in 2024 just like you said. I think I am going to try a different wet food altogether and see if they stop having problems. Its crazy that this information isn't more widely known given it has taken lives. Vets and everyone on this site should be aware of this.

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats love salt. It’s like kitty crack! I never give Victor any treats because they are all loaded with salt!! My last cat Jaxson, who passed away, suffered from IBS for 14 years. He was addicted to treats and now I wonder if it caused his GI issues. I think a lot of cats’ stomach issues are food related. I am going to research making cat food myself

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So I have been feeding my cats Friskies Shreds variety pack for the last few months and ever since then they seem to have more problems throwing up and pooping where they aren't supposed to. I decided to see if there was any information online about that specific wet food and I seem to have found a possible solution to my issue. All the cans I currently have are of lot # 1159 and expire in 2024 just like you said. I think I am going to try a different wet food altogether and see if they stop having problems. Its crazy that this information isn't more widely known given it has taken lives. Vets and everyone on this site should be aware of this.
Please report this issue to Friskies..

Many people don't report to the manufacturers, so they remain unaware of the issue.

It's also very difficult to prove causation over correlation. Many don't have the funds for a vet to do that, or are unwilling (rightfully so) to keep their cat on the food to do that.

Vets know that the high salt content can cause underlying conditions to worsen....but cats also don't get brought to the vet as often as dogs. Even if they expressed concern, many people are defensive about what they feed their cats.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please watch friskies canned food numbers 1157,1159,1161.
You read the code numbers on the bottom of the can this way:

Best by: MMYY
XXXXXXXX YYYYYYYY

"Best by" is the deadline that stores and warehouses use to know when to sell or get rid of any remaining product. Warehouses don't want dusty cans of cat food sitting in some forgotten corner. Stores don't want cases of unsold product sitting on their shelves. If the date is getting too close, factories and warehouses will donate (or sell at a discount) unsold product to shelters that need food for the animals in their care. Stores will put product on sale. Of course, consumers can also use the date to help them decide what to buy. In any case, the "Best by" date is NOT an expiration date. While I wouldn't want to use a can of food that's years past the date, it will still be perfectly good for some time afterward.

The numbers "XXXXXXXX" are the plant number of the location that made the product. Remember, there isn't any fixed "factory" where Friskies is made. There might be a dozen plants, all making cat food for different brands. One day, they might make Friskies. The next day, they might make some other kind. It's all done by contract. Somebody in some office building, somewhere sends an order to somebody else in some other office building then they send the contract to the factory where it gets made.

The numbers "YYYYYYYY" are the lot number. Depending on the company, it might be a date code that tells what day, date and time the product was made. It might be a lot number for the ingredients that were used to make the cat food. It could be different, depending on the way the company specifies their lot codes. In any case, it's used for traceability. If a bad batch of ingredients finds its way into the product stream, that's the way the company can track it down. (Trust me! If there comes a time when lot codes need to be tracked for quality reasons, all hell breaks loose in the plant! I know because I've been in situations like that!)

So... From what Rick and Raz Rick and Raz tells us, there must have been some kind of screw-up at one or more of the plants where Friskies cat food is made. If we know what plant numbers they are, that means somebody must have tracked it own. I would love to have been a mouse in the corner, watching when that happened! I can imagine that there must have been a lot of hooting and hollering on those factory floors!

Do you remember that I said that contracts are sent from office to office and then to some factory? Well, if there is more than one factory involved, my guess is that somebody gooffed up one of those contracts or somebody misread a work order, somewhere, and used some wrong ingredients or messed up on the recipe that was supposed to be used. Since we know which factories were involved, I'm sure that somebody or several somebodies were written up, suspended or even fired for screwing up.

Believe it or not, factories take this kind of stuff seriously. Dead seriously! I've worked in factories for the last several years and I've seen people get reamed for screwing up. The people you talk to on the phone might sound somewhat blasé about the whole thing but I guarantee that somebody got their a$$ chewed for it!

I think you did the right thing. When you noticed that there was a problem with the food you gave to your cat, you called the company and got the info you needed. And... Thanks for sharing! :)

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Based on the reports I've read on the Consumer Affairs website many people already have reported this to Friskies/Nestle and have gotten nothing but some coupons to buy more of their "poison". Makes me sick that people would knowingly let this happen. Heres the link, see for yourselves.

Top 695 Friskies Reviews

Another one on facebook.

Its going to take awhile for me to see if the new food helps or not but I'm not going to risk it with Friskies anymore.