Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Friskies— An Fyi

Discussion in 'Cat Nutrition' started by posiepurrs, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Kflowers

Kflowers TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 28, 2018
    I don't use Friskies, I was paraphrasing a review on the site I posted. The poster said that his vet had to remove the bones from his cat's stomch, so I would figure they were quite hard and sharp.

Looking for the bones in the pate seemed like the easiest way to check the food to decide whether or not it was acceptable.

I don't think bone would tear, but I would expect cartiladge to tear, sort of.

babs' slave purraised this.

2. babs' slave

babs' slave TCS Member Young Cat

Sep 10, 2011
    Texas
    Thank you for the info. I'm not even sure this is cartilage. It looks like it, but if I rub it between my fingers, it disintegrates.

Kflowers purraised this.

3. Kflowers

Kflowers TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 28, 2018
    I don't know much about meat. Hopefully, someone who does will come by and suggest what it might be. I'd really like to know now.

4. Selarah

Selarah TCS Member Young Cat

Aug 22, 2018
    Some of the recipes have cheese in it. It could be the cheese bits?

5. babs' slave

Sep 10, 2011
    Texas
    Unfortunately not. These are pates without cheese. I found them in a few cans of Fancy Feast last year as well.

6. Richard2121

Richard2121 TCS Member Adult Cat

Oct 31, 2018
    I will say that I choose to incorporate Friskies into my 4 cats' diets because it allows me to also afford much higher quality wet foods. I can give them a 5 or 6 brand rotation as opposed to just 1 or 2 cheap brands. The added variety and numerous textures keeps them interested in the foods I offer. Friskies has given none of my 4 cats issues regardless of how frequently I choose to feed it to them. Whether that be all 4 of their meals in a day are Friskies or just their evening snack, none of them have gotten sick. I am not discounting any previous posts in this thread or saying that the rumors are not true, but I think sometimes the food gets blamed when maybe there were other factors that were impossible to detect (i.e. stress, tracking something into the house that caused minor infection, etc.). I am obsessive when it comes to researching cat foods. So I do feel like knowing if a product or brand may be causing harm to my pets.

mizzely and Selarah purraised this.

7. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Honestly, eating meat sold for human consumption is disturbing to me because of all the lumps and bumps and. . .things. That's normal in meat. I definitely don't worry about random animal-part things in pet food.

Selarah purraised this.

8. babs' slave

Sep 10, 2011
    Texas
    My cat Stubbs ate dry food and Friskies and dry food her entire life. She lived to 19 ( a long time for indoor-outdoor) and I can only remember her having one bad day, the day she passed away in 2005.

Kflowers and Richard2121 purraised this.

9. 8kitties

8kitties TCS Member Adult Cat

May 4, 2018
    Southeastern US
    I feed my outdoor cat with megacolon some friskies wet mixed with water 2x a day....the other cats get what he won't eat from the 2 cans a day. But that is just for him to take his miralax with, the main food is purina naturals grain free (dry). I haven't seen them throw up the wet food except once and it was mixed with whole dry food, so I think it was a classic case of eating the dry too fast without chewing.

10. weebeasties

weebeasties TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 14, 2016
    Florida
    We have fed Friskies Shreds in our rotation for years. Towards the end of last year Sunshine would occasionally throw up after eating. I didn't think too much of it at the time - I assumed that she had eaten too fast - and the other cats were fine. Then in January Rocky became extremely ill, vomiting everywhere. He had eaten the Friskies Shreds for sure that day, but I had split the can with another cat who was fine so I didn't think the food was a culprit. I took Rocky to the vet and had him checked out. Everything seemed normal.
    A friend mentioned that she had heard of some people having problems with Friskies, so as a precaution, I decided to take it out of the rotation for awhile. All I can say is Rocky hasn't thrown up since then and neither has Sunshine. It could be a coincidence. All I know is that Sunshine was vomiting about once a week for two months and for the past two months (without Friskies) not at all. I would think that if it was the food, the others would have been ill as well, but I don't feel comfortable adding Friskies back into the rotation. There's that little thought in my mind that it could be a problem and I just don't want to risk the cats' health for a few pennies in savings.

babs' slave and Richard2121 purraised this.