Friendly Stray With Possible Virus? What To Do.

jd333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom has two orange cats that hang around daily, both very friendly. They both eat well. She's convinced they live down the street and the people just 'let them roam around'. I'm thinking they are stray and homeless. One is big, one is small. The small one is quite small, almost like a 'runt' and seems to have slight redness around his eyes, squinting his eyes constantly, and sneezes quite a lot. Is this conjunctivitis or feline herpes? If that's the case, is it contagious? She's worried if she brings this cat inside, her cat that lives inside will get infected. They are nice cats, they would literally just walk right in.

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It would be best if you Mom was able to get them to the vet. Some viruses can be contagious, but when treated or allowed to run their course, the virus can be contained.

I would tell your Mom to take them to the vet. Ask for the cat to be scanned for a microchip. If there is not one, she can treat the cats.

Also are they neutered? Most orange cats are males.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not a vet and don't know what is going on with Gumburt, but definitely you want to keep the indoor kitty away from both of these cats, and don't let them inside. Also, be sure and wash your hands after you feed or pet the outdoor cats.

It is probably something that needs to be treated, but again, I don't know. Can you find out if they have a home, or if they don't, do you know of any organizations that could help them?

Last edited: