mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Mani and thank you for the badge!  I don't consider helping animals a chore, it's a pleasure to help them.  I'm so glad to know there are others like y'all who feel the same way!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My work with ferals started when Katy came to stay. I wrote her “Diary about a Pregnant Feral Cat” as my first thread on this site. Since then I have had a number of ferals as guests in my cellar – housed in dog transport boxes for a short convalescent period after castration or spaying before being released. It is a difficult decision to make: can I tame this cat or should it be released? I admit I do have a very bad conscience about those cats which may have been tameable (like Katy, although I don’t think I would have been able to find a new home even for her), but which were released in the area they were trapped.

Since Katy I have bottle fed kittens from a feral mother who refused to feed her babies after she and the kittens were trapped. I also looked after and tamed an injured feral kitten that had been bitten by a dog. Another volunteer from the animal protection society I work for, regularly brings kittens from a feral colony. She tries to trap them at 6 weeks old, takes them first to the vet, where the males are castrated and, if she thinks they are pet material, they are brought to me (or to other volunteers) for taming. At the moment I have 3 12-week-old kittens in the cellar (the other 2 siblings were happily rehomed last weekend). They were a hissing, spitting band of wild animals when they first turned up but now they are beautiful, affectionate, playful kittens.

So, I am just one of a team. We meet once a month to exchange experiences and plan fund raising events. I usually have either ferals or abandoned cats as guests. This autumn is particularly stressful: there are too many feral kittens and too few people willing to foster. I am so grateful to people willing to pay for one of our protégés. The kittens have to be at least 12 weeks old before leaving their siblings or playmates. We charge 75 Euros per kitten (which has been dewormed, and received its first injections) but the new owner gets a 20 Euro voucher towards neutering. There are still too many people who think we should provide the kittens at no charge at all!

PS I still have Katy. Unfortunately, although young, she has the calici virus so has already had 7 teeth removed
. For this reason, I cannot keep any kittens in the main part of the house. But I think I do my best.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
@Gilmargl you certainly are a friend of ferals!

It's wonderful, too, to work as a team - so much more can be done and there is invaluable support. 

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm Lee Ann and I started with TNR last year after discovering 5 different ferals living in the woods behind my neighborhood. I have 4 out of the 5 neutered and feed them everyday. Last winter I made them shelters and was amazed that they used them!

Biggest lesson I've learned- don't pet a "tame" feral unless you want another cat! I thought it would be so cool if I could get close enough to little Georgie (ended up being a girl). Well she started following me up to the house- I didn't have the heart to shut the door in her face so she started sleeping in my basement. I had 2 house cats at the time, but one of them has passed away. So now I've brought Georgie into the house but I'm still trying to have my 14 yr old Henry get along with her. She is so sweet- hopefully he will eventually get used to her! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for sharing your story LeeAnn77.  I do hope Henry and Georgie end up as friends...  Are you using a good introduction technique? [article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

Badge awarded, of course..

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!
Yes, I've tried using every technique that is suggested. I'm hoping it'll just take a few more weeks. He just walked past her and there was no hissing or growling, so I consider that a small success! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you!
Yes, I've tried using every technique that is suggested. I'm hoping it'll just take a few more weeks. He just walked past her and there was no hissing or growling, so I consider that a small success! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Excellent.  I've noticed you have started a thread about the introductions.  I hope you get some good feedback in that.

kevin st julian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I take care (4 plus years now) of six colonies ranging from 2 cats to 17 cats. Over 45-50 in total daily in my city, the second or third largest feral population. Up to 50,000 ferals? in a city of 200,000.

I also work with/for an amazing person Kathy who runs a TNR group called FOR THE LOVE OF GRACE in my city here in Windsor,Ontario,Canada. For those unaware we are literally next door to the USA, Detriot. I can see the Detroit skyline from my porch if no other houses/trees. Thanks TO EVERYONE WHO HELPS OUR FERALS IN NORTH AMERICA AND ALL AROUND THE WORLD!  We just had our third fundraiser Sat. night too, went well.

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

I take care (4 plus years now) of six colonies ranging from 2 cats to 17 cats. Over 45-50 in total daily in my city, the second or third largest feral population. Up to 50,000 ferals? in a city of 200,000.

I also work with/for an amazing person Kathy who runs a TNR group called FOR THE LOVE OF GRACE in my city here in Windsor,Ontario,Canada. For those unaware we are literally next door to the USA, Detriot. I can see the Detroit skyline from my porch if no other houses/trees. Thanks TO EVERYONE WHO HELPS OUR FERALS IN NORTH AMERICA AND ALL AROUND THE WORLD!  We just had our third fundraiser Sat. night too, went well.
Wonderful work, Kevin.  You have your badge, of course!

icoele

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At the shelter I volunteer at, we get many cats in coming in. I take it upon myself to socialize each and every one. The first day I began volunteering, I made friends with a very shy cat named River. Rather than hissing and spitting, though, she would shrink back in her cage. The best analogy is when you force yourself to sit through something so it will be over faster. Within a few days we became friends, and now I'm the only person at the shelter who can get her out from her hidey hole within a minute.  I pay more attention to the unsocial ones than the social ones at the shelter actually, lol! I also turned my garage into a shelter. It's not much, but I love helping where I can, and since I'm on the poorer side, it takes a lot from me to be able to do what I can do. (I'm planning on purchasing a heating pad for the garage shelter around Christmas. Hopefully the kitty it's for likes it! Read: hopefully raccoons are too stupid to realize what it does.)

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

At the shelter I volunteer at, we get many cats in coming in. I take it upon myself to socialize each and every one. The first day I began volunteering, I made friends with a very shy cat named River. Rather than hissing and spitting, though, she would shrink back in her cage. The best analogy is when you force yourself to sit through something so it will be over faster. Within a few days we became friends, and now I'm the only person at the shelter who can get her out from her hidey hole within a minute.  I pay more attention to the unsocial ones than the social ones at the shelter actually, lol! I also turned my garage into a shelter. It's not much, but I love helping where I can, and since I'm on the poorer side, it takes a lot from me to be able to do what I can do. (I'm planning on purchasing a heating pad for the garage shelter around Christmas. Hopefully the kitty it's for likes it! Read: hopefully raccoons are too stupid to realize what it does.)
    Well done!  I'm sure your local strays and ferals will really appreciate the shelter. Do you have a TNR program near you?  Or an understanding vet?

Badge awarded, of course.

lalanya love

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the 2 cats I have now just by caring about animals so much that when I saw a stray family of cats outside, of course I fed them.  They returned again and again afterward and I soon began buying cat food on a very regular basis so as to feed the daddy, momma and her litter of babies that came to my door each day.  There were other neighbors who fed & cared for the cats also.  I looked forward to the cat visits as we got more and more friendly and the kittens learned to trust me.  At first the kittens wouldn't let me touch them or even near them at all.  Then they gradually would let me pat them, if only for a second, would move away only to return right away for another stroke/ pat and then repeat.  They eventually let me pat longer and stopped pulling away.  Aprox. 4 months later, the one female kitten became pregnant and after she had her own litter, she brought the kittens to me which really strengthened our bond.  I helped her take care of the kittens and found them all great homes, except for one boy who I kept & had neutered, that's my cat Special.  The momma just really warmed up closer than ever to me after that and so of course, I have her and now she is my cat also- Angel.  I always try to feed and be nice and loving to all and any cats I see outside and have fed a few singular strays, one of which still comes to my door every day to feed and has recently let me pat her also!  I am building up a trust with this recent cat and plan on providing a home for her and loving family as soon as I feel she is totally ready to trust it.  Until then she has all my love and affection and she knows she will get a good meal here! Twice I have had some very sorry neighbors who had abandoned their kittens leaving them in the streets of our neighborhood while they just moved away without them.  The first kitten as well as the second one, both times this happened, I took care of and found a loving forever home for them again <3  It is my heart and my passion.  I  would always care for any animal in need and especially my favorite animal in the world-cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

I have the 2 cats I have now just by caring about animals so much that when I saw a stray family of cats outside, of course I fed them.  They returned again and again afterward and I soon began buying cat food on a very regular basis so as to feed the daddy, momma and her litter of babies that came to my door each day.  There were other neighbors who fed & cared for the cats also.  I looked forward to the cat visits as we got more and more friendly and the kittens learned to trust me.  At first the kittens wouldn't let me touch them or even near them at all.  Then they gradually would let me pat them, if only for a second, would move away only to return right away for another stroke/ pat and then repeat.  They eventually let me pat longer and stopped pulling away.  Aprox. 4 months later, the one female kitten became pregnant and after she had her own litter, she brought the kittens to me which really strengthened our bond.  I helped her take care of the kittens and found them all great homes, except for one boy who I kept & had neutered, that's my cat Special.  The momma just really warmed up closer than ever to me after that and so of course, I have her and now she is my cat also- Angel.  I always try to feed and be nice and loving to all and any cats I see outside and have fed a few singular strays, one of which still comes to my door every day to feed and has recently let me pat her also!  I am building up a trust with this recent cat and plan on providing a home for her and loving family as soon as I feel she is totally ready to trust it.  Until then she has all my love and affection and she knows she will get a good meal here! Twice I have had some very sorry neighbors who had abandoned their kittens leaving them in the streets of our neighborhood while they just moved away without them.  The first kitten as well as the second one, both times this happened, I took care of and found a loving forever home for them again <3  It is my heart and my passion.  I  would always care for any animal in need and especially my favorite animal in the world-cats!
Welcome to TCS 
 Thank you for helping all of these cats! I hope you've neutered Special's Momma cat too by now? Good luck with finding her a good home! 

Badge awarded!

stallion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We feed stray and feral cats in our compund. already 3 are almost completely tame, 1 completely tame, 1 that almost lets me pet her, and the rest are just feral cats but are getting less afraid from humans.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

We feed stray and feral cats in our compund. already 3 are almost completely tame, 1 completely tame, 1 that almost lets me pet her, and the rest are just feral cats but are getting less afraid from humans.
  It's wonderful that you are looking after these ferals.  Are you able to have them spayed or neutered?  Otherwise feeding them will result in way too many cats without homes as they will happily breed.

wingwalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am our local TNR manager. Never wanted to be in charge, but there was nobody else... SOMEBODY has to do it, right?

deakatt24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Almost every cat I've ever had has came into my life as a stray (or the kitten of a stray.) A few years ago a stray cat showed up at my house pregnant. She had 3 litters of kittens before I was able to arrange to have her spaded. Only one kitten from her first litter stayed around. Both spaded now. Recently a new kitten managed to find me,